Building Automation Mechanic
- Job Title
- Building Automation Mechanic
- Job ID
- Washington, DC 20060
- Other Location
With over 150 years of caring for our community and each other in the Washington DC area, Howard University Hospital has a world-renowned reputation for high-quality, patient-centric care. Howard University Hospital is the nation’s only teaching hospital located on the campus of a Historically Black University and has created a superior learning environment, with groundbreaking research and positive patient outcomes.
Building Automation Mechanic:
- Installs and maintains environmental energy equipment such as heating, ventilating and air-conditioning systems, heat pumps, boilers, air handlers, variable air volume and mixing boxes, chillers, and related equipment, lighting control, security and access control, irrigation, and fire alarm interfaces, nurse call, PA Systems, and water leak detection
- Applies knowledge of various building trades, such as electrical, mechanical, telecommunications and information systems networks, to computer-based control systems and building automation and environmental control energy equipment in commercial and industrial buildings
- Responsible for troubleshooting, fixing and updating HVAC systems and associated controls; downloading, updating and verifying software accuracy; and calibrating and testing HVAC systems and controls
- Interfaces with customers, architects, engineers, and contractors to install and service building automation systems, including project start‐up and commissioning, in office buildings and medical center
- Assumes other duties and responsibilities that are related and appropriate to the position and area. The above responsibilities are a general description of the level and nature of the work assigned to this classification and are not to be considered as all-inclusive.
- Promotes adherence to the Health Sciences Compliance Program, the Howard University Code of Ethics and the Health Sciences Standards of Conduct.
- Attends annual and periodic mandatory Compliance Program training including the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) Privacy training.
- Participates in activities that promote adherence to federal healthcare program requirements.
- Actively participates in Health Sciences Compliance Program activities
- Adheres to the requirements of the HIPAA Privacy Policies and Procedures.
- Maintains confidentiality of patients, families, and staff.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of the tools and techniques used to maintain, diagnose problems, and repair HVAC/R and associated electrical systems
- Experience with programming, job start-up and checkout, and troubleshooting of building automation systems
- Ability to diagnose and repair complex control systems
- Extensive knowledge of multiple DDC systems
- Ability to read and understand blueprints and schematics
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Proficient with computers
- Demonstrate an attention to detail
- Ability to work at heights and on ladders, and confined spaces
- High School Diploma or Equivalent, 2 year post-secondary degree in Building Systems Technology (BAS) or related field
- Graduate of an accredited trade school or apprenticeship program acceptable.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience required
- Valid driver’s license, EPA Section 608 Universal Certification, Journeyman license(plumbing, electrical, mechanical)
- Work-life balance
- Recognition and rewards for professional expertise
- Competitive, comprehensive benefit plans offered (including health, disability, vacation, sick leave, and 403B retirement plan)
Howard University Hospital requires all external applicants to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 before commencing employment. External Applicants may be required to furnish proof of vaccination and, if offered, may elect to be vaccinated at a designated Howard University Hospital location.
- Required Skills
High School Diploma or Equivalent, 2 year post-secondary degree in Building Systems Technology (BAS) or related field
Graduate of an accredited trade school or apprenticeship program acceptable.
Minimum of 2 years’ experience required
Valid driver’s license, EPA Section 608 Universal Certification, Journeyman license(plumbing, electrical, mechanical)