Environment of Care Manager
- Job Title
- Environment of Care Manager
- Job ID
- Washington, DC 20060
- Other Location
With over 150 years of caring for our community and each other in the Washington DC area, Howard University Hospital has a world-renowned reputation for high-quality, patient-centric care. Howard University Hospital is the nation’s only teaching hospital located on the campus of a Historically Black University and has created a superior learning environment, with groundbreaking research and positive patient outcomes.
Environment of Care Manager:
- Manages all aspects of space planning and minor construction activities. Assists department leaders with facility environment of care and safety program development, implementation and oversight to ensure the safety of patients, caregivers, and visitors, including regulatory oversight of the program for compliance with applicable federal, state, local and accrediting bodies and consistent with policies and procedures.
- Directs hospital wide safety inspection/risk analysis services, construction sites and laboratories to identify/abate recognized safety hazards/loss exposures. Ensures effective Environmental Health and Safety monitoring is completed and issues are addressed as identified during renovations and new construction. As appropriate collaborates with the safety representative from facilities and inspects worksites to detect potential hazards and assess controls.
- Responsible for the campus environment of care standards for all facilities. Leads the environment of care inspection process. Chairs the Environment of Care Committee and provide monthly minutes to leadership for submission to the Executive Leadership Council. As appropriate develops action plans and leads workgroups to address environment of care issues.
- Responds to and investigates employee complaints regarding safety/health concerns. Reviews incident reports from Occupational Health Services and investigates those warranting further action. Offers recommendations to improve employee safety and health. Leads Indoor Air Quality workgroup and provides routine reports to the Safety Committee.
- Oversees compliance with all regulatory agencies in regard to environmental health/safety and emergency management (TJC, NRC, NFPA, MOSH, OSHA, NIOSH). Oversees preparation and submission of all required records and reports necessary for Environmental Health and Safety.
- Plan, organize, develop and implement various required occupational safety training (on-line & classroom based).
- Perform accident investigations to identify root cause and generate recommendations to reduce or eliminate hazards. Works with internal departments to establish safety/emergency programs and loss prevention strategies.
- Assumes other duties and responsibilities that are related and appropriate to the position and area. The above responsibilities are a general description of the level and nature of the work assigned to this classification and are not to be considered as all-inclusive.
- Promotes adherence to the Health Sciences Compliance Program, the Howard University Code of Ethics and the Health Sciences Standards of Conduct.
- Attends annual and periodic mandatory Compliance Program training including the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) Privacy training.
- Participates in activities that promote adherence to federal healthcare program requirements.
- Actively participates in Health Sciences Compliance Program activities
- Adheres to the requirements of the HIPAA Privacy Policies and Procedures.
- Maintains confidentiality of patients, families, and staff.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills to successfully conduct training, facilitate team meetings, update employees on safety-related issues and prepare reports and documents
- People skills to establish relationships with employees at all levels of HUH to motivate others to take action and work towards the environmental health and safety goals.
- Experience using web based Environmental Health & Safety information and data management systems.
- Exemplary customer service skills and attention to detail.
- Significant knowledge of U.S. Environmental, Health & Safety laws and regulations desired.
- Experience with LEAN and Continuous Improvement manufacturing principles.
- Advanced to expert skills using Microsoft suite, including Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Demonstrated proficiency in conducting root cause analysis for risk mitigation.
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment; able to multi-task with proven follow-through and adherence to changing priorities and deadlines
- Change agent and driver of high-performance culture
Qualified Candidate possess:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Occupational Health & Science, Environmental Science, Industrial Engineering, Chemical Engineering or a related technical field.
- 3+ years’ experience in hospital environmental health and safety.
- 1+ years of management experience.
- Certified Healthcare Safety Professional (CHSP) preferred.
At Howard University Hospital, our job is to care for you. We do this by offering:
- Work-life balance
- Recognition and rewards for professional expertise
- Competitive, comprehensive benefit plans offered (including health, disability, vacation, sick leave, and 403B retirement plan)
Howard University Hospital requires all external applicants to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 before commencing employment. External Applicants may be required to furnish proof of vaccination and, if offered, may elect to be vaccinated at a designated Howard University Hospital location.
- Required Skills
Bachelor’s Degree in Occupational Health & Science, Environmental Science, Industrial Engineering, Chemical Engineering or a related technical field.
3+ years’ experience in hospital environmental health and safety.
1+ years of management experience.
Certified Healthcare Safety Professional (CHSP) preferred.