- Job Title
- Patient Transportation
- Job ID
- Washington, DC 20060
- Other Location
With over 150 years of caring for our community and each other in the Washington DC area, Howard University Hospital has a world-renowned reputation for high-quality, patient-centric care. Howard University Hospital is the nation’s only teaching hospital located on the campus of a Historically Black University and has created a superior learning environment, with groundbreaking research and positive patient outcomes.
The Patient Transporter:
- Safely and efficiently transports patients to and from various areas in the Hospital (as scheduled, requested, or directed).
- Fulfills responsibilities as assigned and/or float basis in response to patients’ needs across all departments of the Hospital.
- Responds to emergent and urgent patient and operational issues.
- Perform other duties that further the customer service needs of the unit, such as answering phones, greeting and escorting patients, and administrative and clerical duties upon demand.
- Assists the unit nursing staff in transferring patients in and out of bed and on to transport equipment, as well as patient care on units.
- Covers part or all of other shifts, and/or be on call.
- Prepares, inspects, and cleans transportation equipment prior to transporting patients.
- Reports incidents and any unsafe equipment to the Transportation Supervisor for maintenance and repair.
- Transports deceased patients to the morgue.
- Achieves appropriate Hospital performance and productivity standards as established.
- Attends annual and periodic mandatory Compliance Program training including the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) Privacy training and adheres to the requirements.
- Adheres to the Health Sciences Compliance Program, the Howard University Code of Ethics, and the Health Sciences Standards of Conduct.
- Adheres to federal health care program requirements.
- Obtains necessary certifications as required by regulatory agencies.
- Maintains confidentiality of patients, families, and staff.
- These stated responsibilities are a general description of the level and nature of the work assigned to this classification and are not to be considered all-inclusive. The employee assumes other duties and responsibilities that are related and appropriate to the position and area.
- Relates and communicates with patients, visitors, and staff in a professional, courteous and mature manner
- High School Graduate or General Equivalent Diploma (G.E.D.)
- Six (6) months of responsible work experience in a Hospital or Medical Care Facility performing patient transportation services or other duties preferred.
- Current American Heart Association Basic Cardiac Life Support Card (BLS).
- Must be able to accommodate frequent pushing and pulling of heavy equipment up to 350lbs, occasionally up to 800lbs.
- Work-life balance
- Recognition and rewards for professional expertise
- Competitive, comprehensive benefit plans offered (including health, disability, vacation, sick leave, and 403B retirement plan)
Howard University Hospital requires all external applicants to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 before commencing employment. External Applicants may be required to furnish proof of vaccination and, if offered, may elect to be vaccinated at a designated Howard University Hospital location.
- Required Skills
High School Graduate or General Equivalent Diploma (G.E.D.)
Six (6) months of responsible work experience in a Hospital or Medical Care Facility performing patient transportation services or other duties preferred.
Current American Heart Association Basic Cardiac Life Support Card (BLS).
Must be able to accommodate frequent pushing and pulling of heavy equipment up to 350lbs, occasionally up to 800lbs.