Nurse Manager, PACU, Endoscopy, Pre-Testing, and Ambulatory Surgery Center
- Job Title
- Nurse Manager, PACU, Endoscopy, Pre-Testing, and Ambulatory Surgery Center
- Job ID
- Washington, DC 20060
- Other Location
With over 150 years of caring for our community and each other in the Washington DC area, Howard University Hospital has a world-renowned reputation for high-quality, patient-centric care. Howard University Hospital is the nation’s only teaching hospital located on the campus of a Historically Black University and has created a superior learning environment, with groundbreaking research and positive patient outcomes.
Howard University Hospital seeks to hire a Nurse Manager in PACU, Endoscopy, Pre-Testing and Ambulatory Surgery Center who will embrace our reach and historic tradition of excellence. If you want to make a difference in someone’s life every day, consider a position with a team of professionals who are doing just that, making a difference.
The shifts for this position are Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. -5:00 p.m. or as needed, weekends as needed.
The Nurse Manager is accountable for assessing, planning, directing, and evaluating nursing care in his/her area of responsibility. The Manager assures adherence to Howard University Hospital’s (HUH’s) policies and procedures and supports and fosters the HUH mission and vision. The Nurse Manager is responsible for the quality of care provided to patients and the processes that lead to continuous performance improvement. Their role includes clinical practice, staff development, and continuing education, management, and leadership, consultation and support. The manager works with members of administration, physicians and other members of the multi-disciplinary staff to assure that lines of communication are open and processes for quality patient care and problem resolution are in place.
The Nurse Manager:
- Assumes responsibility and accountability for the oversight of day-to-day operations of the department.
- Acts as a role model/mentor to charge nurses and staff; creates an empowered shared decision-making environment; promotes staff participation in Shared Decision-making activities; establishes a vision/goal for succession planning.
- Manages staff, clinical orientations, education, competencies, quality improvement, staff meetings and communication as well as annual performance evaluations. Establishes, role-models, and upholds the standards of practice and expectations for the staff, monitoring performance, behaviors, competency, and conducts performance reviews. Set objectives and goals for skill development of the clinical team.
- Develops budget(s) for the department and allocates funds within budget(s) to accomplish objectives. Monitors variance against budget(s).
- Consistently, timely, and accurately completes tasks necessary for service recovery, complaints, near misses, and adverse events. Participates in patient rounds.
- Ensures and monitors staff participation in patient rounds as part of the delivery care model to optimize the patient experience and outcomes.
- Actively leads and encourages staff participation in continuous improvement efforts, DMAICs, and shared governance. Operationalize the strategic plan for their department.
- Ensures that unit strategic plan, vision, and goals are aligned with the System/nursing strategic plan, vision, mission, and goals; Acts as liaison between nursing administration and medical staff; Assists the staff in establishing and maintaining positive, constructive communication in a collaborative model between other units/departments within HUH when solving issues.
- Identifies and monitors resources necessary for safe delivery of patient care to include labor, equipment, and facilities in the department.
- Ability to communicate effectively and professionally with providers, patients and staff.
- Expert knowledge of nursing principles, practices and skills, as well as performance improvement principles.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and the ability to function independently.
- Demonstrated experience in using good judgment in working with diverse populations.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize activities.
- Strategic vision and agility-ability to think strategically, anticipate future consequences and trends, and incorporate them into the organizational plan.
- Strong organizational, problem-solving and follow-through skills
- Ability to multi-task constantly, react to changes quickly/productively, and tolerate interruptions
- Ability to remain flexible, organized, professional and able to analyze, make sound decisions under stressful or crisis situations
- Baccalaureate Degree in Nursing required, Master's Degree strongly preferred,
- Five (5) years of work experience in Perioperative Services: PACU, Endoscopy, Pre-Testing and Ambulatory Surgery.
- Three (3) Years of supervisory experience (charge, preceptor)
- Current District of Columbia Registered Nursing license
- Current Basic Life Support (BLS) certificate through American Heart Association
- PALS certification through American Heart Association
- Certification in leadership within 1 year of hire
- Nationally Certified RN in specialty within 1 year of hire
- Work-life balance
- Recognition and rewards for professional expertise
- Competitive, comprehensive benefit plans offered (including health, disability, vacation, and sick leave and 403B retirement plan)
- 100% free tuition to attend Howard University for you and/or your dependent children
Howard University Hospital requires all external applicants to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 before commencing employment. External Applicants may be required to furnish proof of vaccination and, if offered, may elect to be vaccinated at a designated Howard University Hospital location.
- Required Skills
Baccalaureate Degree in Nursing required, Master's Degree strongly preferred,
Five (5) years of work experience in Perioperative Services: PACU, Endoscopy, Pre-Testing and Ambulatory Surgery.
Three (3) Years of supervisory experience (charge, preceptor)
Current District of Columbia Registered Nursing license
Current Basic Life Support (BLS) certificate through American Heart Association
PALS certification through American Heart Association
Certification in leadership within 1 year of hire
Nationally Certified RN in specialty within 1 year of hire