General Assignments Reporter
- Job Title
- General Assignments Reporter
- Job ID
- Dallas, TX 75201
- Other Location
GENERAL ASSIGNMENTS REPORTER
KERA, the public broadcasting organization for Dallas/Fort Worth, is hiring a General Assignment Reporter to cover general topics on radio and digital platforms. Serving the country’s fifth-largest media market, KERA reaches more than 2 million people weekly through KERA TV, KERA News, Triple-A music station KXT 91.7 FM, and the websites kera.org, kxt.org, keranews.org and artandseek.org. For more than 60 years, North Texans have turned to KERA as a destination for community engagement and lifelong learning.
As we seek to recognize and reflect the increasing diversity among our audiences, we encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds and with diverse perspectives to consider employment opportunities at KERA.
WHO WE ARE:
This is a new full-time position that’s part of KERA’s newsroom growth. The focus will be on general-assignment reporting, with room for beat development and in-depth storytelling on the radio and on the station’s digital and social media platforms.
The ideal candidate is an experienced writer/producer with a journalism background and a passion for local news. Someone who’s a storyteller – whether with a microphone, Twitter, a video camera or a pencil. They must be versatile, productive and resilient, able to write, voice and produce quick-turn daily reports on multiple topics and start developing sources in specific topic areas.
The position is based in Dallas/Fort Worth/Denton, with statewide and national reach: KERA leads The Texas Newsroom - a landmark regional news hub of public radio stations across the state and NPR.
This is an FLSA Classified non-exempt position, which is eligible for overtime. This position reports directly to the Managing Editor, Daily News.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Write, voice and produce engaging stories for radio and digital platforms from interviews, research, data and analysis. Find creative ways to report on daily and breaking news and issues that touch everyone, with an emphasis on quick turn reporting delivered with the context and creativity public radio is known for.
- Develop distinctive audio and digital stories focused in the KERA listening area in North Texas, with statewide and national context and impact.
- Work collaboratively as part of KERA’s team to build expertise, contribute compelling story ideas and experiment with innovative storytelling techniques.
- Create and participate in online and in-person events.
- Participate in extensive training opportunities in the newsroom, in departments across KERA and across the state with The Texas Newsroom.
- Work closely with KERA’s Collaborative partners: The Texas Newsroom, Ft. Worth Report, and others.
- Be an active participant in KERA’s work towards equity, diversity, inclusion and belonging.
- Work in a manner that is consistent with KERA’s mission, vision and values; and maintain compliance with all company policies and procedures
- Comply with KERA’s COVID policies.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
This list of job duties is not exhaustive and is subject to regular reviews and updates.
WHAT WILL MAKE YOU SUCCESSFUL:
We believe a strong organization includes employees from a range of backgrounds, with different skills, experiences and passions. If you do not meet every position qualification but have some of these skills and feel you could be the right candidate for the job, we would like to hear from you. Please apply and tell us more about yourself.
- Proven ability to quickly write, voice and produce radio and digital stories.
- Passion for journalism and breaking news.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity in reporting and sourcing.
- Solid knowledge of Associated Press style, ability to exercise sound news judgment and follow KERA/NPR ethics and editorial standards.
- Passionate and enthusiastic about public media journalism and serving a diverse North Texas audience.
- Valid driver’s license and insurance required for assignments/activities that involve work outside of the office.
BONUS IF YOU BRING:
- Experience with one or more of the following: audio production; multimedia production, particularly photography or video; hands-on audio editing and innovative audio storytelling; working with one or more content management systems; other relevant technical expertise.
- Related work experience in journalism, communications or related field
- Knowledge of North Texas people, cultures, issues and geography as well as national and international issues and events.
- Working knowledge of Spanish and/or other languages common in Texas.
$55,000 - $65,000, depending on experience.
We expect that this position will work out of our Dallas office at least 25% of the time.
HOW TO APPLY:
Complete the application on KERA’s employment page and attach a resume and cover letter and links to recent audio/digital work samples.
KERA is an Equal Opportunity Employer
KERA believes that diversity is important to our success. We are committed to equal employment opportunity and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, religion, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law.