- Job Title
- Leave Specialist
- Job ID
- WASHINGTON DC, DC
- Other Location
With over 150 years of caring for our community and each other in the Washington DC area, Howard University Hospital has a world-renowned reputation for high-quality, patient-centric care. Howard University Hospital is the nation’s only teaching hospital located on the campus of a Historically Black University and has created a superior learning environment, with groundbreaking research and positive patient outcomes.
Howard University Hospital seeks to hire a Leave Specialist who will coordinate employee and participant leave of absence, accommodation and workers’ compensation needs. The position supports day-to-day requests, payroll coordination, individual claim management, compliance and return to work procedures for all individuals out on leaves. They will be the point person for walk in questions or concerns.
The Leave Specialist :
- Researches and analyzes claims to determine eligibility and certification in compliance with state, federal, international regulations
- Engages with employees in the interactive process for medical accommodations
- Coordinate all leave types including FMLA, STD, LTD, and workers compensation
- Tracks LOA and input pay information in HRIS
- Collaborates with Managers and employee relations team by providing information to support employment decisions when approved leave time is exhausted
- Partners with EEOC and General Counsel Office on ADA requests for reasonable accommodation
- Liaisons with third-party administrator, MetLife and Sedgwick
- Maintains close contact with employees and keep managers informed about expected duration, return to work dates, extensions
- Gathers critical data as requested (case notes, LOA dates, etc.) to support the company in its compliance efforts and defense of legal matters.
- Assumes other duties and responsibilities that are related and appropriate to the position and area. The above responsibilities are a general description of the level and nature of the work assigned to this classification and are not to be considered as all-inclusive.
- The employee must demonstrate collaboration, accountability, respect, excellence, and service.
- The employee must work with team members and peers in and outside of their immediate work group to create an exceptional experience for patients, students and other visitors.
- The employee must accept responsibility for their actions to provide health care and/or ancillary functions in a highly efficient and compassionate manner. The employee must function as a Steward (Have Ownership) of the Howard University Hospital values that foster a commitment to improving the patient and student experience, organizational efficiency and the environment.
- The employee must embrace diversity and care holistically for those Howard University Hospital serves. They must treat all as they would like to be treated. They must manage the patient’s right to privacy and keep any proprietary information about the institution confidential.
- The employee must anticipates the needs of the patient and/or student. They must present themselves as a model representative of the institution and maintains high standards of care while striving to improve performance and create exceptional experiences for our patrons.
- The employee must behave in a friendly, resourceful and professional manner towards all individuals they encounter.
Bachelor’s degree in related field from an accredited college or university required.
- In lieu of Degree 7-10 years’ experience in Leave Administration is acceptable.
- 5+ years of experience in Leave Administration to include, FMLA, LTD, STD, Workers compensation and ADA accommodations.
- Knowledge of Federal and State leave related regulations relating to: FMLA; ADA, STD, LTD, HIPAA and Workers Compensation.
- General knowledge of OSHA regulations
At Howard University Hospital our job is to care for you. We do this by offering:
- Work-life balance
- Recognition and rewards for professional expertise
- Competitive, comprehensive benefit plans offered (including health, disability, vacation, sick leave, and 403B retirement plan.)
Howard University Hospital requires all external applicants to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 before commencing employment. External Applicants may be required to furnish proof of vaccination and, if offered, may elect to be vaccinated at a designated Howard University Hospital location.Click to edit
- Required Skills