Outpatient Physical Therapist
- Job Title
- Outpatient Physical Therapist
- Job ID
- Washington, DC
- Other Location
With over 150 years of caring for our community and each other in the Washington DC area, Howard University Hospital has a world-renowned reputation for high-quality, patient-centric care. Howard University Hospital is the nation’s only teaching hospital located on the campus of a Historically Black University and has created a superior learning environment, with groundbreaking research and positive patient outcomes.
Howard University Hospital seeks to hire a Full Time Outpatient Physical Therapist who will embrace our reach and historic tradition of excellence. If you want to make a difference in someone’s life every day, consider a position with a team of professionals who are doing just that, making a difference.
Physical Therapist: Full Time - (outpatient) Monday - Friday 8am-5pm no weekends
- Performs complete initial Physical Therapy evaluation on patients referred by physicians or departmental protocol.
- Develops and implements treatment plans and programs for patients based on diagnostic and prognostic neuro-muscular assessment.
- Develops treatment plans and programs for patients including long term and short-term goals. Obtains approval from referring physicians prior to commencing treatment.
- Provides information to the medical staff and other health personnel which may cause required modifications of treatment prescriptions and/or plans and goals.
- Coordinates home programs and referrals for community services through social services and/or the manager of Physical Therapy.
- Participates in clinical aspects of the teaching program as required.
- Maintains appropriate records on all patients, noting prescription of therapy, patient problems, patients' reactions to treatment, treatment plans, goals and other necessary observation relative to the treatment process.
- Administers and monitors a variety of modalities of treatment (i.e. whirlpools, diathermies, hydro collators, ultrasound, manual and electrical muscle and nerve testing and stimulation).
- Participates in departmental patient care conferences.
- Assumes other duties and responsibilities that are related and appropriate to the position and area. The above responsibilities are a general description of the level and nature of the work assigned to this classification and are not to be considered as all-inclusive.
- Promotes adherence to the Health Sciences Compliance Program, the Howard University Code of Ethics and the Health Sciences Standards of Conduct.
- Attends annual and periodic mandatory Compliance Program training including the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) Privacy training.
- Participates in activities that promote adherence to federal healthcare program requirements.
- Actively participates in Health Sciences Compliance Program activities
- Adheres to the requirements of the HIPAA Privacy Policies and Procedures.
- Maintains confidentiality of patients, families, and staff.
- Knowledge of clinical and fiscal data collection and reporting.
- Ability to adapt standard Physical Therapy techniques to the needs of special populations.
- Ability to assess patients with a variety of maladies.
- Ability to establish treatment priorities and exercise independent and ethical judgment in execution of therapeutic programs and plans of care.
- Demonstrates leadership skills and problem-solving abilities
- Possesses good physical health and manual dexterity sufficient for performing standard Physical Therapy procedures and handling equipment.
A qualified candidate will possess:
- Doctoral degree in Physical Therapy from an institution accredited to the Committee on Accreditation in Education, American Physical Therapy Association.
- Licensure to practice in the District of Columbia.
- Maintains active American Heart Association Basic Life Support certification.
- Completion of a clinical internship in Physical Therapy.
At Howard University Hospital our job is to care for you. We do this by offering:
- Work-life balance
- Recognition and rewards for professional expertise
- Competitive, comprehensive benefit plans offered (including health, disability, vacation, sick leave, and 403B retirement plan)
Howard University Hospital requires all external applicants to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 before commencing employment. External Applicants may be required to furnish proof of vaccination and, if offered, may elect to be vaccinated at a designated Howard University Hospital location.
- Required Skills
Doctoral degree in Physical Therapy from an institution accredited to the Committee on Accreditation in Education, American Physical Therapy Association.
Licensure to practice in the District of Columbia.
Maintains active American Heart Association Basic Life Support certification.
Completion of a clinical internship in Physical Therapy.