Surgical Technologist, Operating Rooms, Evenings
- Job Title
- Surgical Technologist, Operating Rooms, Evenings
- Job ID
- Washington, DC 20060
- Other Location
With over 150 years of caring for our community and each other in the Washington DC area, Howard University Hospital has a world-renowned reputation for high-quality, patient-centric care. Howard University Hospital is the nation’s only teaching hospital located on the campus of a Historically Black University and has created a superior learning environment, with groundbreaking research and positive patient outcomes.
Howard University Hospital seeks to hire a full time Surgical Technologist who will embrace our rich and historic tradition of excellence. If you want to make a difference in someone’s life every day, consider a position with a team of professionals who are doing just that, making a difference.
This position is full time five 8-hour evening shifts per week starting at 2:30pm, on-call and weekend required as needed.
The Surgical Technologist:
- Reviews preference card and ensure that all supplies, instruments, equipment, positioning aids, and other items identified are available and in the room for scheduled surgical procedure.
- Responsible for preoperative duties as follows: Donning Operation Room attire and personal protective equipment (PPE); gathering, checking, and opening supplies, instruments, and equipment needed for the surgical procedure in a timely manner; performing the surgical scrub and donning gown and gloves; setting up the sterile back table and Mayo stand with instruments, supplies, equipment and labels medications/solutions needed for the procedure; performing initial instrument, sharps and sponge counts with the circulator; assisting the team members with gowning and gloving; assisting with draping the patient and establishing the sterile field; participating in the surgical site and patient verification during the time out procedure; securing tubing, cords and other sterile accessories; maintaining aseptic techniques and monitoring sterile field.
- Monitors room for traffic control, proper attire, and safety violations throughout the procedure.
- Collaborates with SPD to maintain instruments in good condition/working order through appropriate handling and identification/notification of repairs needed.
- Responsible for Intraoperative duties as follows: preparing and anticipating additional instrumentation, equipment, and supplies for usage during the procedure; measuring and passing medications, hemostatic agents, and irrigation solutions utilized during the surgical procedure; holding retractors or instruments as directed by the surgeon; performing intra-operative sponge and needle counts according to policy and procedure; applying electrocautery to clamps or forceps on bleeders as directed by the surgeon; assists in basic.
- Follows lockout/tag-out procedures for malfunctioning equipment and reports to charge nurse/Nurse Manager or designee.
- Participates in maintaining the environment of care by being observant of the environment and appropriately identifying and reporting unsafe conditions to management or designee.
- Performs transport duties as needed to facilitate proper transport of patient throughout perioperative stay.
- Knowledge of anatomy and physiology, medical terminology, microbiology, and pharmacology for optimal surgical patient care.
- Expertise in theory and application of sterile and aseptic technique.
- Ability to combine knowledge of human anatomy, surgical procedures and implementation tools and technologies to facilitate a surgeon's performance of invasive therapeutic and diagnostic procedures.
- Ability to problem-solve in procedures.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality of patient information.
- Ability to operate surgical equipment and devices needed for surgical procedures.
- Ability to follow verbal and written instruction and adhere to hospital and departmental policies and procedures.
- Basic computer application skills.
- High attention to detail with exceptional organizational skills.
The qualified candidates will possess:
- Graduate of Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP).
- Six (6) months of Surgical Technology experience or have performed a minimum of 80 surgical procedures in the role of first scrub as a Surgical Technology student.
- Must be able to obtain Surgical Technologist certification within six (6) months of employment.
- BLS Certification through the American Heart Association required.
At Howard University Hospital our job is to care for you. We do this by offering:
- Work-life balance
- Recognition and rewards for professional expertise
- Competitive, comprehensive benefit plans offered (including health, disability, vacation, sick leave, and 403B retirement plan)
- 100% tuition remission to Howard University after 1 year of commitment (graduate level)
Howard University Hospital requires all external applicants to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 before commencing employment. External Applicants may be required to furnish proof of vaccination and, if offered, may elect to be vaccinated at a designated Howard University Hospital location.
- Required Skills
Graduate of Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP).
Six (6) months of Surgical Technology experience or have performed a minimum of 80 surgical procedures in the role of first scrub as a Surgical Technology student.
Must be able to obtain Surgical Technologist certification within six (6) months of employment.
BLS Certification through the American Heart Association required.