Sterile Processing Technician, Sterile Processing Dept., Nights
- Job Title
- Sterile Processing Technician, Sterile Processing Dept., Nights
- Job ID
- Washington, DC 20060
- Other Location
With over 150 years of caring for our community and each other in the Washington DC area, Howard University Hospital has a world-renowned reputation for high-quality, patient-centric care. Howard University Hospital is the nation’s only teaching hospital located on the campus of a Historically Black University and has created a superior learning environment, with groundbreaking research and positive patient outcomes.
Howard University Hospital seeks to hire a Sterile Processing Technician who will embrace our reach and historic tradition of excellence. If you want to make a difference in someone’s life every day, consider a position with a team of professionals who are doing just that, making a difference.
The Sterile Processing Technician performs all aspects of reprocessing and distribution activities in support of the department’s customer base. Duties are performed in strict compliance with Howard and regulatory agencies’ policies and procedures, including Association of Operating Room Nurses (AORN), Society of Gastroenterology Nurses and Associates (SGNA), Association for the Advancement of Medical Instrumentation (AAMI), state and/or local government, Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and Joint Commission standards.
The hours for this position are five 8-hour Nights (10:30pm-7:00am) with on-call and weekend rotation.
Sterile Processing Tech:
- Operates, monitors and cleans processing equipment. Performs decontamination, assembly, sterilization, case cart preparation, instrument, supply inventory and processing duties as required.
- Cleans and operates all departmental decontamination and sterilization equipment in accordance with manufacturer’s and hospital guidelines. Utilizes manufacturer’s guidelines when cleaning and sterilizing instruments.
- Completes and maintains records of all sterile processing functions required to meet Quality Assurance, Joint Commission and other regulatory agencies’ standards
- Processes rigid flexible scopes and power equipment, lubricating them according to the manufactures specifications.
- Checks procedure trays and instrument sets for accuracy and consistency ensuring that they are in good working condition. Ensures all instruments in Sterile Processing are placed in its proper locations.
- Follows departmental policy of receiving and returning loaner instruments.
- Takes inventory of and restocks and maintain peel pack levels on a daily basis. Ensures the necessary supplies, instrument sets and peel packs are put on case cart as required indicating any item not available or creating a priority list.
- Conducts daily biological test and verification test for specified equipment.
- Reports incidents and/or injuries to the Team Leader or manager.
- Assumes other duties and responsibilities that are related and appropriate to the position and area. The above responsibilities are a general description of the level and nature of the work assigned to this classification and are not to be considered as all-inclusive.
Key competencies required include:
- Knowledge of the fundamentals of anatomy, sterilization procedures, surgical procedures, aseptic techniques and the care of instruments.
- Working knowledge of medical/surgical terminology.
- Competent in cleaning and operating steam autoclaves, ultrasonic cleaner and quick rinse equipment
- Ability to use independent judgment
- Ability to properly operate decontamination and sterilization equipment.
- Ability to work as an individual and as part of a team.
- Ability to handle a high stress environment in a calm manner
- Processes basic computer skills
- Processes good communication skills
- High school diploma or GED required
- BLS certification through AHA required
- Registered Sterile Processing Technician (SPT) certification strongly preferred, or to acquire within 1 year.
- In lieu of SPT certification, (1) year comparable OR or SPT experience in ambulatory or acute hospital setting; But must acquire certification within 1 year.
At Howard University Hospital our job is to care for you. We do this by offering:
- Work-life balance
- Recognition and rewards for professional expertise
- Competitive, comprehensive benefit plans offered (including health, disability, vacation, sick leave, and 403B retirement plan)
- 100% free tuition to Howard University after 1 year of service
Howard University Hospital requires all external applicants to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 before commencing employment. External Applicants may be required to furnish proof of vaccination and, if offered, may elect to be vaccinated at a designated Howard University Hospital location.
- Required Skills
High school diploma or GED required
BLS certification through AHA required
Registered Sterile Processing Technician (SPT) certification strongly preferred, or to acquire within 1 year.
In lieu of SPT certification, (1) year comparable OR or SPT experience in ambulatory or acute hospital setting; But must acquire certification within 1 year.