Unit Secretary, Telemetry, Nights
- Job Title
- Unit Secretary, Telemetry, Nights
- Job ID
- Washington, DC 20060
- Other Location
With over 150 years of caring for our community and each other in the Washington DC area, Howard University Hospital has a world-renowned reputation for high-quality, patient-centric care. Howard University Hospital is the nation’s only teaching hospital located on the campus of a Historically Black University and has created a superior learning environment, with groundbreaking research and positive patient outcomes.
Howard University Hospital seeks to hire a Unit Secretary who will embrace our reach and historic tradition of excellence.
The shift is 11:30 pm to 8 am, with every other weekend required
The Unit Secretary:
- Coordinates communication on the unit (processing new admission to the unit, responding to inquiries from other departments, responding to physician requests, etc.). Communicates all relevant information to the patient and appropriate healthcare team members. Interacts with physicians and other staff members for a timely flow of information.
- Prepares maintains and produces patient records for hospital billing, patient communications, diagnostic and therapeutic procedures, surgery, and other patient care needs from admission through discharge.
- Answers the telephone and intercom system in a timely, pleasant and courteous manner. Directs callers; accepts, records, and delivers messages; makes calls to all other departments, as required and/or directed; receives and directs visitors, patients, and staff; monitors and controls the flow of traffic. Responds promptly to call lights and notifies patient care staff of patient care needs.
- Prepares notice of patient's discharge to inform the business office. Requests and performs transportation services including supplies, specimens, and patients in wheelchairs on demand.
- Receives dietary requests and timely transmits requests to o Dietary before the cut-off time for the next meal.
- Maintains adequate stock of supplies and functioning equipment and confirms the availability of required unit-based equipment, including utilizing applicable hospital information system.
- Use of Teletracking system for various Hospital operations and staff activities. Calls in special teams as requested.
- Conducts rounds at the beginning and end of every shift and as directed to ensure room readiness, the accuracy of the patient census, patient identification, and bed identification. Reconciles unit-level patient census in accordance with hospital policy and procedures.
- Assumes other duties and responsibilities that are related and appropriate to the position and area. The above responsibilities are a general description of the level and nature of the work assigned to this classification and are not to be considered all-inclusive.
A qualified candidate will possess:
- High school graduate or General Equivalency Diploma (G.E.D.)
- One year of secretarial experience is preferred.
- Knowledge of Medical Terminology.
- Current American Heart Association BLS Certificate
- Basic computer skills
- Work-life balance
- Recognition and rewards for professional expertise
- Competitive, comprehensive benefit plans offered (including health, disability, vacation, sick leave, and 403B retirement plan)
Howard University Hospital requires all external applicants to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 before commencing employment. External Applicants may be required to furnish proof of vaccination and, if offered, may elect to be vaccinated at a designated Howard University Hospital location.
Must be able to stand, walk, sit, lift (supplies), stoop, bend, pull, push, reach, write, type (finger dexterity), file, speak, hear, see, interpret and organize for extended periods of time.
- Required Skills
High school graduate or General Equivalency Diploma (G.E.D.)
One year of secretarial experience, preferred.
Knowledge of Medical Terminology.
Current American Heart Association BLS Certificate
Basic computer skills