Option 2: Create a New Profile
Field Inspector - Telecom
- Job Title
- Field Inspector - Telecom
- Job ID
- Mission Valley, CA 92108
- Other Location
Job Title: Field Inspector
Business Unit: CHC Consulting, a Congruex Company
Department: Field Operations
Reports To: Field Operations Manager
Employment Status: Full-Time, Hourly, Non-Exempt
Primary Location: San Diego, CA (field-based)
Networks Built Better.
Congruex is a multi-national organization that specializes in broadband network construction and engineering. We support some of the largest service providers in the United States with a footprint that extends across the nation. Our turn-key design and build solutions allow our customers to deliver more data, more bandwidth, and ultimately support more devices for their end users.
Our diverse self-perform capabilities allow us to deliver high quality telecommunications and utility solutions with efficiency as one combined end-to-end business.
Congruex is a growing collection of subsidiary operating units. Our unified vision is to be the nation’s largest end-to-end provider of network design, engineering, construction, and maintenance for broadband operators. We are One Congruex.
Our Mission & Values
It is our mission to satisfy our customers by providing the expertise, technology, and resources necessary to build better networks.
Congruex is committed to the overall health, wellness, and safety of our people. We support diversity, inclusion, and the right to live freely with mutual respect.
These values are ingrained in our core values of GRIT.
At Congruex, GRIT is an acronym for guts, reliability, improvement, and teamwork – having the GUTS to do the right thing, being RELIABLE to deliver what we promise, IMPROVING ourselves every day, and embracing TEAMWORK together as One Congruex.
CHC Consulting, a Congruex Company
Founded in 2003, CHC Consulting is a full-service engineering consulting firm within the telecommunications industry. CHC Consulting provides comprehensive, turn-key professional services in the areas of fielding, engineering design, permitting, project management, process development, and staffing to a range of Blue Chip clients across the United States. CHC Consulting specializes in Outside Plant (OSP) Engineering and has a large footprint in the West, Midwest, and Southwest regions.
The Field Inspector performs field inspections of cable/fiber placement, cable/fiber splicing, and construction work on customer job sites.
Job Responsibilities (Including, but not limited to):
- Travel (daily) to assigned location and conduct site surveys.
- Inspect fiber optic cables and the work of construction contractors.
- Prepare pre-survey construction packages.
- Assist with data preparation and documentation of reporting field results.
- Attend field meetings with client’s field personnel as well as government agencies and construction contractors.
- Operate and maintain field equipment and tools such as, laptop, iPad, height stick, camera, personal protective equipment (PPE), etc.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- High school diploma or GED equivalent.
- Valid driver’s license and ability to accommodate travel in personal vehicle; satisfactory driving record.
- Ability to communicate information regarding design changes, material shortages, or construction delays.
- Highly organized, self-starter, and detail oriented.
- Excellent verbal and written interpersonal communication skills.
- Superior time management skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to be flexible, take direction with ease, including changes to schedule and workflow priorities.
- Critical thinking skills; make assessments and provide solutions to problems.
- Ability to follow direction in maintaining all Field Safety standards.
- Physical requirements:
- Ability to stand, stoop, squat and bend for extended periods of time.
- Ability to look up for extended periods of time.
- Ability to walk for extended periods of time and/or long distances.
- Ability to navigate through potential uneven walkways/terrain.
- Tolerant to extreme elements (heat, sun, wind, rain, snow, etc.).
- Good vision and depth perception (corrective lenses OK).
- Ability to sit and drive for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift 10lbs minimum, and potentially up to 50lbs.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs, Adobe Acrobat, and Google Earth
- Experience with project management processes and tools.
- Ability to upload/download documents from Project Management software.
- Ability to edit documents and upload PDF files into proprietary software.
- Experience and understanding of outside plant construction techniques.
- Knowledge of fiber networking, routing, switching and network management.
- Experience planning and executing fiber network expansion and construction
- Experience staking new fiber routes, inspecting construction contractors, and locating cables.
- Ability to determine 43, 44, 46 labor crews tasking.
- Able to determine grounding and grounding requirements on workprints.
- Knowledge of cable materials: size, pairs, types of cable.
- Knowledge of NESC, G.O. 95, & 128.
- Knowledge of 85C, 845C, 822C, 462C placement and splicing.
- Able to identify new versus existing placement of cables and structures on workprints.
- Able to determine CO directionality on workprints.
- Understanding of tasking verbiage and fiber pair splicing.
- Recognition of facility removals.
- Knowledge of fiber terminal ordering material, sizing, and splicing.
- Knowledge of terminal address naming convention.
- Understanding of LU configuration and conditioning.
- Familiarity using 22 JAM reports.
- Ability to release and schedule tasking with labor crews.
- Ability to follow phasing release dates.
- Ability to coordinate with Supers and 3rd party construction crews.
- Ability to identify Mpoe and IDF locations.
- Ability to determine fiber pathway and connection points on workprints and in field.
- Ability to follow proposed pathways prior to construction.
- Ability to forecast customer move-in dates and Mpoe/IDF ready dates to avoid held service orders.
- Ability to retrieve sequence and phasing sheets to follow construction build.
- Recognition of responsibility for facility placement including structure, microduct.
Desired Skills & Qualifications:
- Previous experience working on an AT&T 43,44, or 46 line crew.
- Daily travel to job site(s) in personal vehicle required – mileage reimbursement.
All requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by their supervisor.
Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills, and/or abilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbent will possess the abilities or aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at-will” employment relationship.