Environmental Specialist - Evenings
- Job Title
- Environmental Specialist - Evenings
- Job ID
- Washington, DC 20060
- Other Location
With over 150 years of caring for our community and each other in the Washington DC area, Howard University Hospital has a world-renowned reputation for high-quality, patient-centric care. Howard University Hospital is the nation’s only teaching hospital located on the campus of a Historically Black University and has created a superior learning environment, with groundbreaking research and positive patient outcomes.
Howard University Hospital seeks to hire an Environmental Specialist who will embrace our reach and historic tradition of excellence. If you want to make a difference in someone’s life every day, consider a position with a team of professionals who are doing just that, making a difference.
- Performs routine cleaning of all internal areas of the Hospital, including Patient Rooms, Nursing Units, Offices, Clinical Areas, Waiting Area, Lobbies, Lounges, Restrooms, Corridors, Elevators, Stairwells and building exterior to ensure a clean, neat and sanitary environment, according to established performance standards.
- Routinely replenishes or replaces expendable supplies, such as soap, toilet tissue, and paper towels.
- Operates mechanical equipment such as buffers (high and low speed), automatic scrubbers, pressure washers, vacuum cleaners, shampooer, extractor, burnisher and steam machine, baseboard machine and restroom cleaning machine. Uses equipment properly and maintains assigned equipment in good safe working order.
- Empties trash containers in assigned areas, replaces liners and clean the exterior of trash containers with damp cloth.
- Transports trash and hazardous waste to appropriate disposal area.
- Observes safety precautions and established safety procedures for performing work and using equipment and cleaning supplies. Note any required repairs (painting, plumbing, carpentry, or electrical) and report needed repairs to Supervisor or designee.
- Reports safety hazards according to policies and procedures, and to Supervisor or designee.
- Maintain patient confidentiality. Adhere to federal law, the Howard University Health Science Compliance Program, the Howard University Code of Ethics and the Health Sciences Standards of Conduct. Attend annual and periodic mandatory Compliance training, including HIPAA Privacy training. Participate in activities that promote adherence to federal healthcare program requirements. Participate in performance improvement activities.
- Assumes other duties and responsibilities that are related and appropriate to the position and area. The above responsibilities are a general description of the level and nature of the work assigned to this classification and are not to be considered as all-inclusive.
- Promotes adherence to the Health Sciences Compliance Program, the Howard University Code of Ethics and the Health Sciences Standards of Conduct.
- Attends annual and periodic mandatory Compliance Program training including the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) Privacy training.
- Participates in activities that promote adherence to federal healthcare program requirements.
- Actively participates in Health Sciences Compliance Program activities
- Adheres to the requirements of the HIPAA Privacy Policies and Procedures.
- Maintains confidentiality of patients, families, and staff.
- Knowledge to understand and follow universal precautions, blood borne pathogen procedures and use of personal protective equipment as needed while cleaning patient care areas.
- Ability to follow both written and oral instructions.
- Ability to utilize sound judgment to carry out detailed but involved written or oral instructions.
- Ability to maintain patient confidentiality.
- Ability to successfully operate a variety of high powered cleaning equipment.
- Ability to maintain a professional manner at all times. Exhibits courtesy and excellent customer service, while interacting with patients, guests and co-workers.
- Problem solving skills with the ability adapt to changes.
- Time management skills; able to perform multiple tasks within a confine time.
- Customer service skills
- High School or GED
- One (1) year of environmental or janitorial work experience, preferably in a healthcare facility.
- Work-life balance
- Recognition and rewards for professional expertise
- Competitive, comprehensive benefit plans offered (including health, disability, vacation, sick leave, and 403B retirement plan)
Howard University Hospital requires all external applicants to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 before commencing employment. External Applicants may be required to furnish proof of vaccination and, if offered, may elect to be vaccinated at a designated Howard University Hospital location.
- Required Skills
High School or GED
One (1) year of environmental or janitorial work experience, preferably in a healthcare facility.