Physical Therapist - PRN
- Job Title
- Physical Therapist - PRN
- Job ID
- Washington, DC
- Other Location
With over 150 years of caring for our community and each other in the Washington DC area, Howard University Hospital has a world-renowned reputation for high-quality, patient-centric care. Howard University Hospital is the nation’s only teaching hospital located on the campus of a Historically Black University and has created a superior learning environment, with groundbreaking research and positive patient outcomes.
Howard University Hospital seeks to hire a PRN Physical Therapist who will embrace our rich and historic tradition of excellence. If you want to make a difference in someone’s life every day, consider a position with a team of professionals who are doing just that, making a difference.
The Physical Therapist:
- Gathers information necessary to properly evaluate and treat referred patients
- Performs complete initial Physical Therapy evaluation on patients referred by physicians or departmental protocol
- Develops and implements treatment plans and programs for patients based on diagnostic and prognostic neuro-muscular assessment
- Develops treatment plans and programs for patients including long term and short term goals. Obtains approval from referring physicians prior to commencing treatment
- Provides information to the medical staff and other health personnel which may cause required modifications of treatment prescriptions and/or plans and goals
- Administers and monitors a variety of modalities of treatment
- Presents patients with recommendations for equipment and/or assistive devices and instructs patients/families in the use and maintenance of adaptive appliances
- Coordinates home programs and referrals for community services through social services and/or the manager of Physical Therapy
- Maintains appropriate records on all patients, noting prescription of therapy, patient problems, patients' reactions to treatment, treatment plans, goals and other necessary observation relative to the treatment process
- Obtains supplemental information to modify treatment and/or make referrals to other appropriate disciplines
- Participates in quality assessment programs/activities and in-service continuing education programs. Ensures the safety of patients and staff in the therapeutic environment
- Participates in community educational activities or service programs regarding issues of Physical Therapy as required
Qualified candidates will possess:
- Doctoral degree in Physical Therapy from an institution accredited to the Committee on Accreditation in Education, American Physical Therapy Association.
*Bachelor’s degree in Physical Therapy obtained prior to January 2016 will be accepted
- Completion of a clinical internship in Physical Therapy
- Licensure to practice in the District of Columbia
- Maintains active American Heart Association Basic Life Support certification
- Special expertise in management of a specialized type of disability, e.g. cardiovascular, neurological, etc. is desirable
At Howard University Hospital our job is to care for you. We do this by offering:
- Work life balance
- Recognition and rewards for professional expertise
- Competitive, comprehensive benefit plans offered (including health, disability, vacation and sick leave and 403B retirement plan)
- 100% free tuition to attend Howard University for you and/or your dependent children
Howard University Hospital requires all external applicants to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 before commencing employment. External Applicants may be required to furnish proof of vaccination and, if offered, may elect to be vaccinated at a designated Howard University Hospital location.
- Required Skills
Ability to establish treatment priorities and exercise independent and ethical judgment in execution of therapeutic programs and plans of care
Ability to adapt standard Physical Therapy techniques to the needs of special populations
Must possess good physical health and manual dexterity sufficient for performing standard Physical Therapy procedures and handling equipment
Knowledge of clinical and fiscal data collection and reporting. Competence in both oral and written English
Ability to establish and maintain effective and harmonious work relationships with staff, physicians, Hospital and University officials, and the general public.