Patient Account Representative II
- Job Title
- Patient Account Representative II
- Job ID
- Washington, DC 20060
- Other Location
With over 150 years of caring for our community and each other in the Washington DC area, Howard University Hospital has a world-renowned reputation for high-quality, patient-centric care. Howard University Hospital is the nation’s only teaching hospital located on the campus of a Historically Black University and has created a superior learning environment, with groundbreaking research and positive patient outcomes.
Howard University Hospital seeks to hire a Patient Account Representative who will embrace our reach and historic tradition of excellence. If you want to make a difference in someone’s life every day, consider a position with a team of professionals who are doing just that, making a difference.
The Patient Account Representative:
- Review and update patient accounts insurance information and ensuring third party payor information is complete and accurate
- Enters/Updates patient, insurance, contract, revenue and/or reimbursement data into one or more Siemens computer system, Medicaid Portal, Medicare Portal, and MCO Portals and accounts receivable information daily
- Prepares and submits hard copy billing claim packages, including collecting of all necessary materials for proper claim creation/modification; making payor specific data changes as required for accurate and timely billing
- Collects all necessary materials for accurate claim creation, submission and timely adjudication; makes payer and patient demographic changes to system data as required for accurate and timely billing; monitors claims submissions, follow-up activity and secondary claim processing; Verifies that payments and account balances are correct and compliant with payer contracts and billing rules and regulations
- Contacts insurance carriers as scheduled by collection tool. Inform the insurance company of an action plan if there is a delay in resolving account for adjudication
- Identify review and resolve denied claims daily. Monitor status of patient accounts and accounts receivable information using the Siemens computer system, Medicaid Portal, Medicare Portal, Carefirst, and MCO Portals
- Utilizes HUH payer contracts to effectively & efficiently calculate expected reimbursements
- Performs routine arithmetic calculations associated with revenue billing, computing expected payor and patient reimbursement amounts, as well as contractual adjustment amounts for individual accounts
- Establishes and/or monitors self-pay financial plans; working with vendors as necessary where patients may qualify for financial assistance
- Review and correct claim errors occurring on electronic claim scrubber system as defined by departmental guidelines; Monitor error frequency with immediate supervisor as remedial actions are developed and executed with error’s root cause
Qualified candidates will possess:
- High School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (G.E.D.)
- At least 5+ years of experience in billing and collections required.
- Acute Care Facility experience (IP Stay collection, DRG Reimbursement, Medicare & Medicaid payer experience) required
- Experience hospital environment required
- At least five years of experience in billing and collections required, hospital environment preferred and should be able to pass the Patient Financial Services Proficiency Test by 80% or more; OR Possess and retain throughout employment certification as a Certified Patient Account Representative – CPAR (HFMA) or Certified Revenue Cycle Specialist (CRCS-I (AAHAM)).
At Howard University Hospital our job is to care for you. We do this by offering:
Work life balance
Recognition and rewards for professional expertise
Competitive, comprehensive benefit plans offered (including health, disability, vacation, sick leave, and 403B retirement plan)
Howard University Hospital requires all external applicants to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 before commencing employment. External Applicants may be required to furnish proof of vaccination and, if offered, may elect to be vaccinated at a designated Howard University Hospital location.
- Required Skills
High School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (G.E.D.)
At least five years of experience in billing and collections required, hospital environment preferred and should be able to pass the Patient Financial Services Proficiency Test by 80% or more; OR Possess and retain throughout employment certification as a Certified Patient Account Representative – CPAR (HFMA) or Certified Revenue Cycle Specialist (CRCS-I (AAHAM)).