- Job Title
- Nurse Extern
- Job ID
- WASHINGTON, DC 20002
- Other Location
With over 150 years of caring for our community and each other in the Washington DC area, Howard University Hospital has a world-renowned reputation for high-quality, patient-centric care. Howard University Hospital is the nation’s only teaching hospital located on the campus of a Historically Black University and has created a superior learning environment, with groundbreaking research and positive patient outcomes.
Howard University Hospital seeks to hire a Nurse Extern who will embrace our reach and historic tradition of excellence. If you want to make a difference in someone’s life every day, consider a position with a team of professionals who are doing just that, making a difference.
The Externship begins with the first orientation in June and runs full-time for eight consecutive weeks. This program provides exposure to clinical and learning environments that enhance your preparation as a nurse. The priority during this experience is to learn and develop skills as a care provider. Students are assigned to a clinical unit with a mentor nurse who is prepared to answer questions and will look for learning opportunities.
This is an opportunity to develop organizational and problem-solving skills such as:
- How the nurse sets priorities, communicates with team members and other professionals, and organizes their assignment.
- Identifying what resources are available to the nurse.
- Identifying other team members and observe how the various team members work together.
- How to use your critical thinking skills and be observant
- Required Skills
• Rising Senior with an expected graduation in winter 2021/spring 2022
• Active BLS/CPR certification
• Submit a resume and cover letter
• Submit transcripts with grades averaging 85% or higher
• Successful completion of a pre-employment health assessment and background check