- Job Title
- Job ID
- OAKLAND, CA 94607-3705
- Other Location
Junior State of America Foundation (JSAF) was created by and for young people interested in what happens around them - from politics, to how the government works, to making real change in their communities. JSA educates and prepares high school students to be active participants and effective, ethical leaders in our democratic society. The student-led JSA empowers a diverse community of passionate young leaders to learn together, think critically, advocate opinions thoughtfully, respect opposing views and promote the common good.
Since its founding, more than 500,000 students have graduated high school as more active, informed members of their community as a result of their participation in JSA. Participants learn how to engage civilly in political discourse. They cultivate democratic leadership skills, challenge one another to think critically, advocate their own opinions, develop respect for opposing views and learn to rise above self-interest to promote the public good. As a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization, JSA is committed to developing a diverse, cross-section of young leaders for a democratic society.
Chief Finance & Operations Officer
As JSAF’s Chief Finance & Operations Officer (CFO/COO), you will report to the CEO and serve as an integral member of a highly collaborative leadership team, working closely with the Chief Programs, Chief Development, and Chief Marketing and Communications Officers in making strategic as well as operational decisions for JSAF. The CFO/COO will lead a four-person team of finance and accounting, IT and Salesforce administration, and operations staff, as well as manage JSAF’s relationships with its PEO and Salesforce development partners. This role is ideal for someone with a clear vision of the financial strategies needed to sustain the organization as it expands its program offerings to reach a more diverse student population with greater impact. You will also build on past success at implementing the operating, talent management, administrative and information systems to support those strategies.
The CFO/COO will play a key role in JSAF’s commitment to attain greater diversity, equity and inclusivity in all aspects of its operations.
- Provide financial analysis, projections and reporting for staff leadership and Board as they continue to lead JSAF to long-term financial sustainability
- Lead the finance and accounting team to capture and generate reports on all relevant financial data
- Provide financial analysis and projections, standard financial reports, and communication about JSAF financial standing to the C-level and the Board
- In collaboration with staff leadership, develop the annual budget and manage to that budget, including producing quarterly reforecasts
- In close collaboration with the JSAF Controller, oversee the annual independent audit and preparation of all required government reporting, including tax filings
- Serve as the staff liaison with the JSAF Board Treasurer, and Finance, Investment and Audit Committees
- Communicate all financial issues critical to JSAF’s organizational well-being to the CEO without delay
- Cultivate a highly inclusive organizational culture that aligns with JSAF’s values and creates an environment in which all staff flourish in their roles.
- Help transform the organizational culture of JSAF to become more relevant to all communities we serve and aspire to serve
- Manage the relationship with JSAF’s PEO
- Identify and engage talent recruiting channels and strategies for attracting highly capable candidates from a variety of backgrounds to JSAF
- Provide expertise and a sounding board to other C-level staff around recruiting, onboarding, professional development, performance management, hiring and termination, and retention
- Design and implement a meaningful performance review process
- Update compensation philosophy annually, or as needed
- In collaboration with the CEO, plan and manage staff, Board and Trustee meetings and retreats
- Communicate all HR issues critical to JSAF’s organizational well-being to the CEO without delay
- Guide the Operations & Administration Coordinator to provide a variety of operations, human resource, and administrative support for student participants, staff and Board
- Collaborate with the Leadership Team in setting and driving organizational vision, operational strategy, and talent needs
- Lead management decision-making on providing a safe and healthy workplace for staff, both in JSAF’s office(s) and when working remotely
- Analyze internal operations and identify areas for process optimization
- Strengthen organizational risk management practices
- Communicate all operations issues critical to organizational well-being to the CEO without delay
- Optimize existing and new investments in technology
- Guide the IT Coordinator to administer Salesforce installation to support current and future operating needs
- Lead decisions about Salesforce development and support with our vendor, and align that work to fully support JSAF’s program and operating goals
- Communicate all information technology issues critical to organizational well-being to the CEO without delay
- Master’s degree in Accounting, Business Administration, or related field
- 5+ years’ experience in executive leadership positions
- Leadership skills, with steadfast resolve and personal integrity
- A solid grasp of data analysis and performance metrics
- An ability to analyze, resolve and articulate problems quickly, and project potential issues
- An ability to balance collaboration with independent decision-making
Junior State of America Foundation values our employees’ time and efforts. Our commitment to your success is enhanced by competitive compensation of $125K – $145K annually, along with a generous benefit package including employer paid healthcare, paid time off, employer contribution to the retirement plan and remote working.