Activity Assistant for Seniors
- Job Title
- Activity Assistant for Seniors
- Job ID
- HOUSTON, TX 77027-6807
- Other Location
Amazing Place, formerly The Seniors Place, was established to care for older adults with mild to moderate memory loss. We offer our participants an individualized wellness program, with lots of socialization and interesting daily activities. Caregivers receive respite, support groups and family conferences which help the well-being of the whole family.
Our highly professional and well-trained staff cares deeply about the participants and families we serve. Our combined knowledge and expertise help us to develop and oversee an individualized and therapeutic care plan for each participant.
Activity Assistant for Seniors
In this dynamic role as an Activity Assistant, you will work as a team with the other members of the Participant Program Department executing daily schedules for the Amazing Place Participant Program, designed for older adults with mild to moderate memory loss, by performing the following duties:
- Present and/or co-present programs in front of a group of participants including exercise, trivia, word games, short stories and games
- Cue, accompany and/or assist participants with toileting. Document results on the toileting record.
- Welcome families and caregivers warmly and help make transition times as easy as possible
- Encourage social exchange with participants
- Report observations of participants and their needs to Program Manager or nurse.
- Serve and/or clean up after lunch and snack periods.
- Set-up and assist in various group activities.
- Assist new participants in integrating into the program by helping them find activities they enjoy. Fill out the New Participant Integration form as assigned.
- Assist with ambulation and transferring of participants from vehicles, chairs, or wheelchairs.
- Assist with assigned afternoon clean up.
- Focus positive attention on participants who may need some redirection to successfully participate in group programs
- Participate in monthly program team meetings and daily stand up meetings.
- Assist with participant departures.
- Aid in the integration of volunteers to the participant program.
Qualitative Dimensions of Position:
- Approaches work with energy and enthusiasm
- Proficient with a variety of technologies including; MS Office, Ipod Touch/Ipad, Xbox Kinect, and an assortment audio/visual components
- Practices non-judgmental, unconditional acceptance of our participants.
- Demonstrates warmth and kindness.
- Maintains a cheerful, friendly and positive attitude.
- Demonstrates patience and center-approved techniques to educate and communicate with Amazing Place participants.
- Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations.
- Utilizes listening skills to gain clarification and responds appropriately to questions
- Upholds organizational values, working with integrity at all times and treating people with respect.
- Demonstrates the ability to adapt to frequent changes, delays, or unexpected events that are endemic to working with the specified population.
- Reacts well under pressure.
- Observes safety and security procedures; reports potentially unsafe conditions
- Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time
- Maintains current CPR and AED Certifications
- Possesses solid organizational skills as well as intermediate to advanced computer/technology proficiency.
- Understands the concept of being a team player in a work environment where employees consistently come together for the greater good.
- Recognizes that the unpredictable nature of working with dementia patients could occasionally involve contributing more than your share of the work load to achieve a departmental or participant outcome.
- Maintains a cheerful communication style, demonstrating the necessary patience to work well with persons who have mild to moderate dementia.
Amazing Place’s mission is to empower lives disrupted by dementia. As our mission, any and everything we do is driven by empowerment. Rather than asking why, at Amazing Place, we want people to ask how? How should I feel? How should I respond? How can dementia be prevented? How can I help? And most importantly, how can I empower the lives of those affected? Because how we react to the very first signs of dementia can create lasting strength for those we love. As a successful candidate, you must be:
- A Team Player
To perform the job successfully, you should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
- Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process; Makes timely decisions.
- Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
- Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Meets productivity standards; Completes work in timely manner; Strives to increase productivity; Works quickly.
We value our employees’ time and efforts. Our commitment to your success is enhanced by our competitive compensation of $15 per hour and an extensive benefits package including 401k matching, health, dental and vision benefits. Plus, we work to maintain the best possible environment for our employees, where people can learn and grow with the company. We strive to provide a collaborative, creative environment where each person feels encouraged to contribute to our processes, decisions, planning and culture.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.