Emergency Department Technician - Night Shift
- Job Title
- Emergency Department Technician - Night Shift
- Job ID
- Washington, DC 20060
- Other Location
With over 150 years of caring for our community and each other in the Washington DC area, Howard University Hospital has a world-renowned reputation for high-quality, patient-centric care. Howard University Hospital is the nation’s only teaching hospital located on the campus of a Historically Black University and has created a superior learning environment, with groundbreaking research and positive patient outcomes.
Howard University Hospital seeks to hire an Emergency Department Technician who will embrace our reach and historic tradition of excellence. If you want to make a difference in someone’s life every day, consider a position with a team of professionals who are doing just that, making a difference.
Emergency Department Technician:
- Under the direction of the RN, performs technical duties and selected treatments, procedures, and activities that contribute to the safe and efficient delivery of patient care including insertion of intravenous lines/Heparin locks, EKGs (telemetry monitoring), and implement the patient plan of care.
- Assists with patient care, such as personal hygiene, special skin care, ambulation, transfer, and treatment procedures, including enemas, ostomy care, oral suctioning, catheterization, bed making, and sterile dressings.
- Makes regular patient visits to provide all patients with quick responses to their needs. Assists in ambulation and range of motion.
- Observes, documents, and monitors vital signs. Measures and records intake (fluid/food) and output (bodily functions/bodily drainage).
- Practices infection control procedures and observes Standard Precautions (including appropriate use of Personal Protective Equipment). Performs minor housekeeping tasks to keep patient areas clean.
- Collects specimens, including venipuncture, properly labels all specimens, and assists nursing staff with proper requisitioning.
- Assists with obtaining basic patient information as part of the nursing history or ongoing assessment and reports abnormal values or changes in patients’ condition to the appropriate nurse or supervisor.
- Runs errands, procure equipment, and sets up equipment.
- Assumes other duties and responsibilities that are related and appropriate to the position and area. The above responsibilities are a general description of the level and nature of the work assigned to this classification and are not to be considered as all-inclusive.
- High School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED).
- Emergency Medical Technician Certification preferred. EMT certification must obtain within 18 months of the hire date.
- Two (2) years of experience preferred.
- BLS Certification.
- ACLS Certification Preferred.
- Must be able to stand, walk, sit, lift, climb, balance, push, reach, handle, write, file, speak, hear, see (depth perception, color vision), evaluate, and organize for extended periods of time.
At Howard University Hospital our job is to care for you. We do this by offering:
- Work-life balance
- Recognition and rewards for professional expertise
- Competitive, comprehensive benefit plans offered (including health, disability, vacation, sick leave, and 403B retirement plan)
Howard University Hospital requires all external applicants to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 before commencing employment. External Applicants may be required to furnish proof of vaccination and, if offered, may elect to be vaccinated at a designated Howard University Hospital location.
- Required Skills
.High School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED).
Emergency Medical Technician Certification preferred, EMT certification must obtain within 18 months of hire date.
Two (2) years of experience preferred.
ACLS Certification Preferred.
Must be able to stand, walk, sit, lift, climb, balance, push, reach, handle, write, file, speak, hear, see (depth perception, color vision), evaluate and organize for extended periods of time.