Executive Assistant to the President and CEO
- Job Title
- Executive Assistant to the President and CEO
- Job ID
- WASHINGTON, DC 20003
- Other Location
As a leader in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) education, Challenger Center provides more than 250,000 students annually with experiential education programs that engage students in hands-on learning opportunities. These programs, delivered in Challenger Learning Centers and classrooms, strengthen knowledge in STEM subjects and inspire students to pursue careers in these important fields. Challenger Center was created by the Challenger families to honor the crew of shuttle flight STS-51-L.
Executive Assistant to the President and CEO
You have high expectations for yourself and your career. So does Challenger Center. Imagine what we will achieve together. You've worked hard to get where you are today. You want your next step to be the right one. And now you're ready to use your unique skills, talents, and personality to achieve great things.
As the Executive Assistant (EA) to the President and CEO, you must be an energetic professional who has a high level of organizational skills, is detail orientated, and has a can-do attitude. Important to this role is a commitment to excellence in every function and responsibility. The EA supports the President and CEO to help Challenger Center continue meeting its mission through proactive management of the Office of the President and CEO. In this role, you will ensure the President and CEO’s activities with the Board of Directors, partners and other internal and external stakeholders are completed successfully. You will also be responsible for assisting with duties with the Senior Leadership team (executives reporting to the President and CEO) and other departments including development, communications, center relations, finance, education, and human resources that are key to the success of the organization and the office of the President and CEO.
- Serve to ensure the priorities of the office of the President and CEO are met through close collaboration with the President and CEO.
- Regularly handles highly sensitive material and information with discretion and confidentiality.
- Represent the office of the President and CEO and Challenger Center including interaction with both internal and external executives and assistants, board members, and other current and potential key stakeholders to coordinate a variety of executive meetings.
- Proactively manage the President and CEO’s calendar and scheduling with an understanding of the current priorities of the organization and the President and CEO. Schedule meetings for other members of the senior leadership team or Board of Directors as requested.
- Screen President and CEO’s phone, mail, and emails to streamline and manage all incoming communications ensuring appropriate parties are promptly and efficiently notified.
- Arrange travel schedule and reservations for the President and CEO and other members of the senior leadership team as requested
- Provide the administration necessary to support a successfully functioning board of directors, including:
- Serve as Secretary of the Board of Directors as defined by the Bylaws. Duties include taking and distributing meeting minutes, sending Board and Committee meeting invitations, and other duties as assigned by the Board.
- Plan logistics for all board and committee meetings including food service, securing meeting locations, securing travel for some board members, and preparing meeting materials.
- Communicate critical meeting/event details, news, and relevant happenings to the board of directors.
- Attend board meetings and committee meetings to accurately record and distribute minutes in a timely manner.
- Track Board and Committee action items and ensure they are completed or closed in a timely manner.
- Create agendas, take minutes, and prepare the President & CEO for monthly meetings with the Chair of the Board.
- Ensure Board processes and procedures are being followed; review and update all processes and procedures annually (term renewal, onboarding, offboarding, etc.)
- Maintain and update the Board of Directors handbook.
- Schedule meetings, prepare materials, take minutes, and manage relations with the Advisory Council, including the Challenger family members.
- Prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously and follow through on issues in a timely manner.
- Coordinate and/or support the planning of special events, including employee team building activities events, annual Conference, and annual staff planning meeting.
- Assist Human Resources in the onboarding of new staff as needed.
- Be the main point of contact for building management and submit maintenance requests.
- Organize and submit expense reimbursements and expense reports for the President and CEO to accounting.
- Create and manage annual budgets for the Office of the President, Operations, and the Board of Directors.
- Maintain office supplies and inventories. Track status, orders, purchases, and maintain or distribute supplies as needed.
- Ensure the main office phone is answered, transferring calls to the appropriate staff member, and coordinating a backup plan for answering the phone if you are not in the office.
- Ensure the general email inbox is monitored and respond to or forward requests to the appropriate staff member in a timely manner.
- Receive, sort, and distribute incoming mail.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Five years equivalent experience preferred.
- Knowledge of the overall vision and mission of Challenger Center.
- Experience handling a wide range of administrative and executive support-related tasks and able to work independently with little or no supervision.
- Ability to interact with staff and board members sometimes under pressure, remaining flexible, proactive, resourceful, and efficient, with a high level of professionalism and confidentiality.
- Ability to appropriately represent the stature and gravity of the Office of the President and CEO.
- Well organized, flexible, and prepared for the challenges of supporting a small office.
- Experience producing accurate minutes of meetings in a timely manner is a must.
- Expert level communication skills and attention to detail are important.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and document control software or approaches are essential.
We value our employees’ time and efforts. Our commitment to your success is enhanced by our competitive compensation and extensive benefits package including paid time off, medical, dental and vision benefits, 401k, and future growth opportunities within the company. Plus, we work to maintain the best possible environment for our employees, where people can learn and grow with the company. We strive to provide a collaborative, creative environment where each person feels encouraged to contribute to our processes, decisions, planning, and culture.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.