Director of Pharmacy
- Job Title
- Director of Pharmacy
- Job ID
- Washington, DC
- Other Location
With over 150 years of caring for our community and each other in the Washington DC area, Howard University Hospital has a world-renowned reputation for high-quality, patient-centric care. Howard University Hospital is the nation’s only teaching hospital located on the campus of a Historically Black University and has created a superior learning environment, with groundbreaking research and positive patient outcomes.
Howard University Hospital seeks to hire a Director of Pharmacy who will embrace our reach and historic tradition of excellence. If you want to make a difference in someone’s life every day, consider a position with a team of professionals who are doing just that, making a difference.
This position is full time.
The Director of Pharmacy is responsible for overseeing the direction, supervision, and coordination of all pharmacy services in accordance with all federal and state laws relating to the storage, compounding and distribution of drugs and the provision of pharmaceutical care.
The Director of Pharmacy:
- Reviews, coordinates, and implements medication related performance improvement plans and safety initiatives.
- Serves on applicable committees and participates in meetings related to pharmacy services/medication management.
- Responsible for maintaining collaborative relationships with medical staff and other clinical and support departments to ensure the smooth operation of pharmacy services.
- Identifies cost-savings and clinical opportunities as it relates to drug usage.
- Establishes and manages the department budget.
- Identifies and recommends innovations in the practice and function of the pharmacy.
- Implements policies and procedures.
- Facilitate weekly pharmacy huddles, monthly staff meetings and 1:1’s.
- Assumes other duties and responsibilities that are related and appropriate to the position and area. The above responsibilities are a general description of the level and nature of the work assigned to this classification and are not to be considered as all-inclusive.
Expectations for a Director of Pharmacy:
- Knowledge of the formulation, preparation, bulk compounding, selection, dispensing and preservation of drugs, medicines and chemicals prescribed by physicians, dentist and other licensed practitioners.
- Knowledge of TJC requirements, CMS Conditions of Participation, DEA, Board of Pharmacy, and 340B regulations.
- Ability to plan, organize and supervise the work of others. Ability to resolve operational and supervisory/managerial issues.
- Ability to direct activities (pharmaceuticals) which ensure appropriate care is provided commensurate with the age of the patient.
- Demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain harmonious work relationships with staff, faculty, students, university officials and the general public.
- Demonstrated knowledge of organizational problem solving and analytical skills.
- Skilled at writing policies and procedures.
Qualified candidates will possess:
- Doctor of Pharmacy Degree from an accredited college of pharmacy. Master of Business Administration or Master of Healthcare Administration preferred.
- ASHP accredited PGY-1 and PGY-2 residency in Pharmacy Administration preferred.
- Five (5) years of hospital pharmacy experience.
- Three (3) years of pharmacy management/supervisory experience.
- Licensure or eligible for licensure to practice Pharmacy in DC
At Howard University Hospital our job is to care for you. We do this by offering:
- Work life balance
- Recognition and rewards for professional expertise
- Competitive, comprehensive benefit plans offered (including health, disability, vacation and sick leave and 403B retirement plan)
- 100% free tuition to attend Howard University for you and/or your dependent children
Howard University Hospital requires all external applicants to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 before commencing employment. External Applicants may be required to furnish proof of vaccination and, if offered, may elect to be vaccinated at a designated Howard University Hospital location.
- Required Skills
Doctor of Pharmacy Degree from an accredited college of pharmacy. Master of Business Administration or Master of Healthcare Administration (preferred).
ASHP accredited PGY-1 and PGY-2 residency in Pharmacy Administration (preferred)
Five (5) years of hospital pharmacy experience
Three (3) years of pharmacy management/supervisory experience
Licensure or eligible for licensure to practice Pharmacy in DC