Food Service Worker
- Job Title
- Food Service Worker
- Job ID
- Washington, DC 20060
- Other Location
With over 150 years of caring for our community and each other in the Washington DC area, Howard University Hospital has a world-renowned reputation for high-quality, patient-centric care. Howard University Hospital is the nation’s only teaching hospital located on the campus of a Historically Black University and has created a superior learning environment, with groundbreaking research and positive patient outcomes.
The Food Service Worker:
- Utilizes tray tickets/marked menus, ensures accurate assembly of patient trays for general and modified diets; ensures portions served are in accordance with diet plans and checked completed trays for accuracy.
- Explains the menu selection process and assists patients with making a selection.
- Maintains a cluster-free, clean, safe, sanitary and orderly work area
- Retrieves soiled trays, silverware and food carts
- Assists with preparing/portioning salads, desserts, and other items needed.
- Delivers food carts to patient floors and trays to patients’ bedside, ensuring patients receive the correct trays and provide assistance accordingly.
- Disposes of trash and garbage according to sanitation policies and procedures.
- Cleans walk-in storage areas and refrigerators.
- Knowledge of standard diet plans and common food allergies.
- Understanding of food safety guidelines.
- Knowledge of tray assembly, delivery, retrieval, safety and sanitation policies and procedure.
- Ability to serve correct food portions and utilize appropriate serving utensils.
- Ability to adhere to policies and procedures.
- Ability to recognize, operate safely and clean standard kitchen equipment
- Ability to recognize a variety of foods and
- Demonstrated customer service skills
- Strong attention to detail; capable of following verbal and written instructions; able to read and recognize food modifications and follow diet plans as stated on tray ticket/menu.
A qualified candidate will possess:
- High School or GED
- Six (6) months of food service experience, preferably in a healthcare environment.
At Howard University Hospital our job is to care for you. We do this by offering:
- Work-life balance
- Recognition and rewards for professional expertise
- Competitive, comprehensive benefit plans offered (including health, disability, vacation, sick leave, and 403B retirement plan)
Howard University Hospital requires all external applicants to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 before commencing employment. External Applicants may be required to furnish proof of vaccination and, if offered, may elect to be vaccinated at a designated Howard University Hospital location.
- Required Skills
High School or GED
Six (6) months of food service experience, preferably in a healthcare environment.