Learning & Development Specialist
- Job Title
- Learning & Development Specialist
- Job ID
- Washington, DC
- Other Location
With over 150 years of caring for our community and each other in the Washington DC area, Howard University Hospital has a world-renowned reputation for high-quality, patient-centric care. Howard University Hospital is the nation’s only teaching hospital located on the campus of a Historically Black University and has created a superior learning environment, with groundbreaking research and positive patient outcomes.
Howard University Hospital seeks to hire a Learning & Development Specialist who will embrace our reach and historic tradition of excellence. If you want to make a difference in someone’s life every day, consider a position with a team of professionals who are doing just that, making a difference.
This position is full time, Monday-Friday 8:30 am- 5:30 pm, in-hospital.
The Learning & Development Specialist:
Core Competencies include:
- Manages, designs, and implements policies and procedures relating to organizational development.
- Facilitates implementation of appropriate change management initiatives associated with organizational transition activities.
- Implement meaningful, relevant, employee and manager training and development activities that link to company goals and objectives and meet the needs of managers.
- Works with managers to address learning issues, instruction problems, or new educational needs regarding specific employees or departments.
- Determines training needs and requirements for HUH by meeting with managers, talking with employees, or administering surveys.
- Provides oversight and direction to professional staff of the Department in accordance with established policies and procedures; monitors, evaluates, counsels and advises on individual and departmental performance.
- Reviews existing training materials produced by third parties to determine appropriateness and relevance. Modifies or creates course materials and training manuals to meet specific training needs. Manages and updates training systems and modules.
- Monitors training programs, regulatory compliance and manuals to ensure that they are effective and up-to-date and makes updates as necessary.
- Manages costs for all programs, productions, and publications and prepares reports regarding a return on investment.
- Knowledge and application of adult learning concepts.
- Ability to foster teamwork.
- Ability to develop and mentor others.
- Ability to communicate effectively and professionally with leadership, providers and staff.
- Ability to influence others.
- Strong organizational, problem-solving and follow-through skills.
- Ability to multi-task constantly, react to changes quickly/productively, and tolerate interruptions.
- Ability to remain flexible, organized and professional.
- Ability to analyze, make sound decisions under stressful situations.
Qualified candidates will possess:
- Bachelor's in Business, Human Resources, Organizational Development or other related field required. Master’s degree preferred
- Five (5) years of organizational training experience, strongly preferred in a healthcare environment.
- Two (2) years of management experience.
- SHRM-CP or SCP, SPHR or PHR certification desirable
At Howard University Hospital our job is to care for you. We do this by offering:
Recognition and rewards for professional expertise
Competitive, comprehensive benefit plans offered (including health, disability, vacation, sick leave, and 403B retirement plan)
100% free tuition at Howard University after 1 year, and free tuition for dependent children after 2 years
Howard University Hospital requires all external applicants to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 before commencing employment. External Applicants may be required to furnish proof of vaccination and, if offered, may elect to be vaccinated at a designated Howard University Hospital location
- Required Skills
- Client-facing experience
- Hands-on leadership
- Process building experience
- Regulatory compliance experience