- Job Title
- Content Strategist
- Job ID
- BLACKSBURG, VA 24060-4978
- Other Location
Must reside in CST or EST time zones
We’re looking for a creative, analytical, structural thinker with solid communication skills and a passion for solving problems.
NewCity, www.insidenewcity.com, is a nationally recognized digital strategy, design, and development firm. They design and build enterprise-level websites for higher education, large non-profit, and commercial clients. NewCity's core expertise is in the higher education and non-profit space where they’ve been pioneers of human-centered design for over two decades.
They’re organized around seven key disciplines: user experience, visual design, content strategy, development, digital marketing and analytics, project management and business development. Their project teams are made of people from multiple disciplines.
Most people who recognize bad web content roll their eyes — you see the problems behind it and want to help.
The Content Strategist works with a project from stakeholder interviews through post-launch reporting to ensure that everything meets the client’s business goals, user needs, and is feasible for the people who will be producing content for it. You’ll write some web copy but spend most of your time walking clients through the process of creating content themselves for a new information architecture and CMS, training them to make and stick to plans long after you’re no longer on speed dial.
You’ll do content inventories and audits, create governance plans and editorial schedules, and write content requirements for content contributors and programmers alike. You’ll lead messaging exercises with CEOs and talk stressed-out, overworked writers down from their ledges. But your chief job is to help clients’ content speak to their users effectively, and then teach them how to do that on their own.
This job could be a great fit for you if you:
- Believe it all comes down to content and will preach it to any client, colleague, or innocent bystander who will listen.
- Can deliver the hard truth about a client’s website with tact and sympathy, leading them from crummy-content denier to true believer by the end of a design process.
- Enjoy teaching people to produce great web content, whether you’re leading weekly editorial coaching sessions, facilitating a content strategy workshop, or giving CMS training.
- Can talk to a client and help them plan better editorial strategies, standards, roles, and workflows for governing their future content production.
- Are good at reorganizing a site’s information architecture to meet both client and user goals (even when they’re at odds). You’re not afraid to ask why or challenge decisions.
- Understand how SEO principles overlap with good user experience and can craft a thoughtful SEO strategy that’s driven by human goals and goes beyond just applying keywords.
- Are comfortable working in at least one content management system alongside developers and UX architects to help structure the back end of a website or tool’s content and design an authoring environment that CMS contributors can successfully use.
- Are master of voice and tone – you’re skilled at churning out bits of UX microcopy and 10-page audience research summaries alike.
- 2-3 years of experience in journalism, marketing, or another writing field
- Bachelor’s degree
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including presenting to groups
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- CMS experience is highly preferred — you’ll be working as a content contributor in both Drupal and Wordpress to help developers test and train clients on the products we build.
- Remote experience
- Experience teaching and coaching others to create content for digital
This is a full-time position. It is available as fully remote or in-person at our Blacksburg, VA office. You must reside in the either CST or EST time zones and would be expected to be available between 9am-5pm Eastern time.
If you review our portfolio, you’ll see a lot of work in higher education. It represents about 70% of our work each year. We love working with colleges and universities. It’s a dynamic, constantly changing space that always presents fresh challenges. The rest of our work is mainly with non-profits and B2B corporations. Roughly half our work each year is with repeat clients.
Our clients say there’s nothing cookie-cutter in our portfolio. They say we capture the unique DNA of their brand. That’s huge for us. You’ll be instrumental in helping us continue to do that.
NewCity offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package; salary for this position will vary based on experience. Benefits include:
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Coverage
- LTD/STD/Life Insurance
- Remote Stipend
- 12 Vacation days, 5 Personal days
- 10 Paid Holidays