Conference Meetings and Events Specialist
- Job Title
- Conference Meetings and Events Specialist
- Job ID
- HOUSTON, TX 77024-4257
- Other Location
Founded in 1980, the International Facility Management Association (IFMA) is the world's largest and most widely recognized association for facility management professionals, supporting over 20,000 members in more than 100 countries. Facility management (FM) is a profession that encompasses multiple disciplines to ensure functionality, comfort, safety and efficiency of the built environment by integrating people, place, process and technology. IFMA certifies professionals in facility management, conducts research, provides educational programs, and produces World Workplace, the world's largest facility management conference and exposition.
Our vision is to lead the future of the built environment to make the world a better place. As a member organization, we are deeply committed to helping our members thrive. These are the values of the association, staff, and stakeholders, and guide us in everything we do.
- We believe in the benefit of global diversity, inclusion and social equity.
- We recognize that sustainability, resilience, and responsible stewardship of the environment is paramount.
- We commit to open, honest, transparent, and interactive communications.
- We strive for excellence and growth through innovation, leadership and sharing of knowledge.
Conference Programs Specialist
Manages all aspects of events and conferences as assigned within IFMA. Oversees project management, logistics, programming, scheduling, coordination and other necessary details for assigned conferences and events. Ensures events are executed to IFMA standards and continuously improves quality.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Oversees logistics related to meetings and conferences, including, but not limited to, timeline development, budget, audio-visual, food and beverage, onsite marketing materials, registration, and co-author evaluations
- Prepares written logistical specifications to be used by the association and vendors for events
- Coordinates council, committee, chapter and exhibitor meetings and events at IFMA’s conferences
- Coordinates all VIP, speakers, staff and suppliers’ accommodations, communications and deliverable timelines
- Manages the development, printing and placement of event signage
- Reviews and coordinates vendor payment scheduling and ensures invoices are processed
- Oversees logistics related to IFMA booths, IFMA meeting rooms and IFMA functions
- Manages logistics for conference facility tours
- Reviews and negotiates rates and contract terms to ensure approved terms and conditions are implemented in all venue contracts
- Contracts and manages all outside contractors for assigned events
- Coordinates the online compilation of conference handouts including proceedings and PowerPoint presentations for all IFMA conferences
- Develops and manages program committee(s)
- Manages the development and distribution of call for presentations for conference programs
- Manages conference promotions and website updates, working with web and marketing teams
- Researches potential keynote and power speakers
- Manages the Continuing Education Units (CEU) process for conferences
sthe follow up after conference, including invoicing, finalizing financials, debrief, surveys, thank you, and archiving
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Job Knowledge - Competent in required job skills and knowledge; exhibits ability to learn and apply new skills; keeps abreast of current developments; requires minimal supervision; displays understanding of how job relates to others; uses resources effectively.
Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods.
Customer Service - Displays courtesy and sensitivity; manages difficult or emotional customer situations; meets commitments; responds promptly to customer needs; solicits customer feedback to improve service.
Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit; puts success of team above own interests.
Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost-saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources.
Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; manages competing demands; changes approach or method to best fit the situation; able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem-solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The individual must be extremely detail-oriented and can work among tight deadlines. Working on multiple projects at the same time is common. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent from an accredited college or university and 4 years’ experience in program/event planning. Must have experience developing conference programs.
Ability to read, write and communicate in English; ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals; ability to write routine reports and correspondence; ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, or oral, diagram, or schedule form.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must have knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook), Internet navigation software, events management software, and association management database software. Eshow or similar experience is a plus.
Certificates and Licenses:
Certified Meeting Professional (CMP) preferred
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision; distance vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus. This position regularly requires standing, walking, sitting, reaching with hands and arms, using hands to finger and feel, frequently requires talking and listening. This position also requires occasional lifting of up to 40 pounds and frequent lifting of up to 20 pounds. Must be able to stand on feet for long periods of time and can quickly cover large areas on foot during conferences.
Ability to travel domestically and internationally, up to 20%
We value our employees’ time and efforts, and we work to maintain the best possible environment, where people can learn and grow with the company. We also strive to provide a collaborative, creative atmosphere so that each person feels encouraged to contribute to our processes, decisions, planning and culture. Our commitment to your success is enhanced by a competitive salary of $70,000k – 75,000k annually, depending on experience, and an extensive benefits package that includes the following:
- Flexible work schedule
- 401K plan
- Profit sharing
- Medical, dental and vision benefits
- Vacation, sick and floating holidays
- Future growth opportunities and much more!
We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.