Customer Information Specialist
- Job Title
- Customer Information Specialist
- Job ID
- Washington, DC 20060
- Other Location
The Customer Information Specialist will apply understanding and knowledge of the Hospital’s policies and procedures in providing exceptional customer service by phone.
This position will not have any direct reports.
NATURE AND SCOPE:
Interacts internally and externally with patients, families, guests, vendors, local and federal agencies.
- Provides exceptional customer service over the phone according to the Hospital’s policies and procedures.
- Operates computer and telephone to access patient and employee information and page Hospital staff.
- Responds to guests, patients and staff inquiries promptly and professionally by telephone.
- Resolves all inquiries by taking ownership of the requests from guests, patients and staff.
- Properly responds and processes all emergency codes via hospital paging and phone systems.
- Responds to and reports any telecommunication equipment failures to administration or on-call management in the event of a phone system issue.
- Assists with the paging software SPOK by updating the database as needed, updating phone numbers, employee and physicians’ profiles.
- Assists with current directory information for Hospital staff.
- Assists with daily On-Call schedule to ensure the proper on-call information is transferred to the next shift.
- Updates the patient information list on a daily basis to ensure Operators are providing the most up-to-date information to our guests.
- Swaps and programs pagers for residents and physicians within a 2 hour turnaround timeframe.
- Troubleshoots pagers for any technical problems, display or volume issues.
- Utilizes Track-It system to enter in all pager transactions including: new, repairs, broken, lost, code pagers, group, stolen, upgrades and closing ticket.
- Reports all safety, security and suspicious persons and law violations to Security staff.
- Reports any non-routine situation or problem, which warrants immediate consideration or action to supervisor.
- Prepares and submits (EMAIL) reports of incidents during shift to supervisor.
- Makes appropriate referrals when unable to satisfactorily resolve problems or answer inquiries.
- Assumes other duties and responsibilities that are related and appropriate to the position and area. The above responsibilities are a general description of the level and nature of the work assigned to this classification and are not to be considered as all-inclusive.
- Promotes adherence to the Health Sciences Compliance Program, the Howard University Code of Ethics and the Health Sciences Standards of Conduct.
- Attends annual and periodic mandatory Compliance Program training including the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) Privacy training.
- Participates in activities that promote adherence to federal healthcare program requirements.
- Actively participates in Health Sciences Compliance Program activities.
- Adheres to the requirements of the HIPAA Privacy Policies and Procedures.
- Maintains confidentiality of patients, families, and staff.
- Must demonstrate collaboration; accountability; respect; excellence; and service.
- Works with team members and peers in and outside of their immediate work group to create an exceptional experience for patients, students and other visitors; looks for ways to achieve departmental/institutional results by partnering.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions to provide health care and or ancillary functions in a highly efficient and compassionate manner. The employee must function as a Steward (Have Ownership) of the Howard values that foster a commitment to improving the patient and student experience, organizational efficiency and the environment.
- Embraces diversity; cares holistically for those we serve; treats all as we would like to be treated; manages the patient’s right to privacy with meticulous care 100% of the time and keeps patient and proprietary information about the institution confidential.
- Anticipates the patient’s and student’s needs, presents as a model representative of the institution and maintains high standards of care while striving to improve performance and create exceptional experiences for our customers.
- Behaves in a friendly, resourceful and professional manner towards all they encounter; treats patients, students and visitors in the same way that they would want their family members or themselves to be treated.
- Knowledge of HUH policies and procedures
- Ability to operate a personal computer and telephone switch board
- Ability to find information on HUH’s intranet and internet.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality and privacy of patient information.
- Demonstrates exceptional customer service skills and flexibility
- Ability to handle high stress situations in a calm manner and de-escalate
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team
- Demonstrates high energy and strong work ethic
- Ability to maintain a professional and pleasant manner at all times.
- Ability to demonstrate proper customer service, organizational and problem solving skills.
- Ability to effectively operate HUH Telecommunications systems.
- Ability to maintain professional appearance at all times.
- Competence in both oral and written English.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and harmonious work relationships with staff, physicians, Hospital and University officials, and the general public.
- High School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (G.E.D) required
- Minimum one (1) year experience as a customer service representative and/or, patient information clerk or receptionist preferably in a healthcare or customer-focused environment
Must be able to stand, walk, sit, lift (10lbs), bend, write, type, file, speak, hear, see, calculate, compare, edit, evaluate, interpret and organize for extended periods of time.
- Required Skills
• High School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (G.E.D) required
• Minimum one (1) year experience as a customer service representative and/or, patient information clerk or receptionist preferably in a healthcare or customer-focused environment