Leave of Absence Specialist
- Job Title
- Leave of Absence Specialist
- Job ID
- Washington, DC 20060
- Other Location
With over 150 years of caring for our community and each other in the Washington DC area, Howard University Hospital has a world-renowned reputation for high-quality, patient-centric care. Howard University Hospital is the nation’s only teaching hospital located on the campus of a Historically Black University and has created a superior learning environment, with groundbreaking research and positive patient outcomes.
Howard University Hospital seeks to hire a Leave of Absence Specialist who will embrace our reach and historic tradition of excellence. If you want to make a difference in someone’s life every day, consider a position with a team of professionals who are doing just that, making a difference.
The Leave of Absence Specialist:
- Researches and analyzes claim to determine eligibility and certification in compliance with state, federal, international regulations.
- Liaison with third-party administrations MetLife and Sedwick
- Coordinates all leave types including FMLA, STD, LTD, and Workers Compensation.
- Partners with EEOC and General Counsel Office on ADA requests for reasonable accommodation. Engages with employees win the interactive process for medical accommodations.
- Maintains close contact with employees and keep managers informed about the expected return to work dates and extensions.
Qualified candidates will possess:
- Bachelors degree in a related field from an accredited college or university.
- Five (5) years of experience in Leave Administration to include FMLA, LTD, STD, Workers compensation, and ADA accommodations.
- Experience using Lawson/Infor highly preferred.
At Howard University Hospital our job is to care for you. We do this by offering:
Recognition and rewards for professional expertise
Competitive, comprehensive benefit plans offered (including health, disability, vacation, sick leave, and 403B retirement plan)
- Required Skills
Knowledge of FMLA, STD/LTD, Worker’s Compensation, ADA, COBRA, ERISA, and HIPAA.
Working knowledge of OSHA, benefits policies, practices, and applicable laws.
Knowledge of federal and state laws and regulations and HR best practices.
Ability to juggle multiple tasks under pressure and meet deadlines.
Ability to identify, assess, and resolve complex issues/problems.
Ability to appropriately communicate with all levels of employee and management. Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills.
Critical thinking, analytical, problem-solving, and detail-oriented skills. Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Solid computer skills utilizing Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc.
Strong multi-tasking, prioritization and organizational skills. Must be proactive and self-motivated; demonstrates initiative in all aspects of work.