Medical Records Technician
- Job Title
- Medical Records Technician
- Job ID
- Washington, DC
- Other Location
With over 150 years of caring for our community and each other in the Washington DC area, Howard University Hospital has a world-renowned reputation for high-quality, patient-centric care. Howard University Hospital is the nation’s only teaching hospital located on the campus of a Historically Black University and has created a superior learning environment, with groundbreaking research and positive patient outcomes.
Howard University Hospital seeks to hire a Medical Records Technician who will embrace our reach and historic tradition of excellence. If you want to make a difference in someone’s life every day, consider a position with a team of professionals who are doing just that, making a difference.
The Medical Records Technician:
- Maintain patient medical records in the work area for accessibility for Health Information Department workflow and processes
- Track medical records utilizing computerized chart locator system and perform inquiry functions in the hospital information system
- Prepare medical records for scanning into the electronic health record according to department standard
- Scan and indexes into the electronic health record all document types to the correct patient and encounter
- Sort loose documents and prep and scan into the electronic health record according to established sequence and time frame
- Receive and screen telephone calls, visitors, make requests for medical records, and refer visitors/callers to appropriate staff for service
- Photocopy records and documents according to policy on billing and/or legal services, and track disclosures
- Respond to urgent and emergent external requests for patient records for continuing care
- Provides front desk and phone coverage as appropriate for scheduled shift
- Track status of transcribed reports using the dictation/transcription system
Qualified candidates will possess:
- High school graduate or a General Equivalency Diploma (G.E.D.)
- One (1) year of clerical work experience with emphasis on filing medical records, in a healthcare facility or a related field
At Howard University Hospital our job is to care for you. We do this by offering:
Work life balance
Recognition and rewards for professional expertise
Competitive, comprehensive benefit plans offered (including health, disability, vacation, sick leave, and 403B retirement plan)
- Required Skills
Knowledge of the department’s policies and procedures.
Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and standard office equipment such as a photocopier, fax machine, and telephone sufficient to perform tasks efficiently and accurately.
Ability to perform inquiry functions in the hospital information system, computerized chart tracking and computerized chart deficiency tracking systems efficiently.
Ability to understand basic medical terminology.
Ability to effectively learn terminal digit filing.
Ability to discern numbers and names accurately.
Ability to maintain strict confidentiality of patient information and a professional manner at all times.
Ability to file, retrieve, track, and update incomplete/delinquent records in an efficient and accurate manner.
Ability to meet deadlines by assessing work priorities and implement appropriate action.
Competence in both oral and written English.
Ability to establish and maintain effective and harmonious work relationships with staff, physicians,
Hospital and University officials, and the general public.