- Job Title
- Compliance Specialist
- Job ID
- Washington, DC
- Other Location
With over 150 years of caring for our community and each other in the Washington DC area, Howard University Hospital has a world-renowned reputation for high-quality, patient-centric care. Howard University Hospital is the nation’s only teaching hospital located on the campus of a Historically Black University and has created a superior learning environment, with groundbreaking research and positive patient outcomes.
Howard University Hospital seeks to hire a Compliance Specialist who will embrace our reach and historic tradition of excellence. If you want to make a difference in someone’s life every day, consider a position with a team of professionals who are doing just that, making a difference.
The Compliance Specialist:
- Conduct compliance, audits, reviews and investigations and recommend corrective action and methods to mitigate recurrence
- Develop and/or revise compliance policies and collaborate with AHC management to implement policies at the entity level
- Conduct compliance research related to applicable healthcare laws and regulations, identify gaps, and advise the Compliance Manager on necessary training and education
- Become knowledgeable on specific topics such as HIPAA, Billing & Coding, Physician Compensation Arrangements, EMTALA, etc
- Develop and conduct training on compliance issues and topics
- Under the direction of the Compliance Manager, and in collaboration with HUH management, operationalize compliance-related recommendations from internal and external reviews and audits
- Identify and monitor data, trends and regulatory enforcement activity in healthcare to determine deficiencies and/or areas for further investigation
- Take continuing professional education as necessary to broaden skills and maintain professional certifications
Qualified candidates will possess:
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in Business Administration, Healthcare Administration or a related field. Post-graduate degree in law, business, or healthcare administration preferred
- Five years of relevant experience in a business or healthcare environment, preferably in compliance, investigations, regulatory, research or related field
At Howard University Hospital our job is to care for you. We do this by offering:
Work life balance
Recognition and rewards for professional expertise
Competitive, comprehensive benefit plans offered (including health, disability, vacation, sick leave, and 403B retirement plan)
- Required Skills
Demonstrated knowledge of health care compliance concepts and practices in hospitals and physician
Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in English, verbally and in writing, with all audiences from
executive management to departmental staff and the general public.
Strong interview skills, including the ability to build trust with those being interviewed so as to extract
Solid data analysis and general analytical skills.
Strong organization, time management and follow-up skills including the ability to handle competing
priorities and meet all deadlines or commitments.
Ability to exercise independent thought and judgment, working with minimal supervision to accomplish and
carry out goals and objectives.
Ability to recognize when and how to apply theoretical concepts to address real world challenges.
Excellent typing and proof-reading skills.
Ability to exercise discretion and maintain a high-level of confidentiality.
Ability to work collaboratively with others.
Ability to succeed in a fast-paced, complex environment.
Knowledge of Microsoft Office 365 applications, including Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, and
Office 365. Advanced skills in Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
Certified in Healthcare Compliance (CHC) and/or Certified in Healthcare Privacy Compliance (CHPC) is