Patient Care Technician - Nights
- Job Title
- Patient Care Technician - Nights
- Job ID
- Washington, DC 20060
- Other Location
With over 150 years of caring for our community and each other in the Washington DC area, Howard University Hospital has a world-renowned reputation for high-quality, patient-centric care. Howard University Hospital is the nation’s only teaching hospital located on the campus of a Historically Black University and has created a superior learning environment, with groundbreaking research and positive patient outcomes.
Howard University Hospital seeks to hire a Patient Care Tech who will embrace our reach and historic tradition of excellence. If you want to make a difference in someone’s life every day, consider a position with a team of professionals who are doing just that, making a difference.
The Patient Care Tech:
- Contributes to a positive work climate and overall effort of the hospital to provide excellent customer service.
- Uses recognized channels of communication following the chain of command.
- Consistently demonstrates competence in providing patient care routines in accordance with established nursing care procedures to ensure patient dignity, comfort, privacy and safety.
- Adheres to nursing and administrative policies and procedures.
- Under the direction of the RN, performs technical duties and selected treatments, procedures and activities which contribute to safe and efficient delivery of patient care:
- Inserts intravenous lines/Heparin locks
- Performs EKG's (telemetry monitoring)
- Implement the patient plan of care under the supervision of licensed personnel.
- Participates in discharge planning.
- Reinforces the teaching of individuals and groups of patients.
- Performs activities as assigned and demonstrates competency in them.
- Performs blood draws
- Assists patients to perform ADL's (bathing, dressing, toileting, and grooming).
- Assists in use and care of assistive devices, prosthetics and or equipment.
- Transfers and transports patients as desired.
- Performs continual observation
- Provides an accurate, thorough, and timely report of patient condition to health care personnel.
- Organizes and prioritizes assignments to accommodate changing work situations under the guidance of licensed personnel.
- Measures and records intake (fluid/food) and output (bodily functions/bodily drainage).
- Observes and reports abnormal skin conditions following established policy and procedures. Assist in the care of patients at risk or with actual skin breakdown.
- Identifies pain assessment needs with each vital signs and as needed and communicates as appropriate to RN.
- Obtains point-of-care testing as ordered and or delegated by the RN: blood glucose, hemoccult, multistix, and urine HCG as appropriate for patient care unit.
- Performs intentional hourly rounding and documents per unit requirements.
- States normal parameters of treatments/procedures carried out in role. Reports to the nurse any observations, patient behaviors and other indicators which fall outside the stated normal parameters or directions given by RN.
- Enters/retrieves information accurately and in a timely manner into electronic medical record (EMR).
- Demonstrates knowledge of patient safety and fall prevention strategies.
- Practice appropriate infection control procedures (ie. Proper hand hygiene, gowning and gloving, isolation techniques).
- Accompanies patients to other areas of the hospital when patient appropriate and as requested by the RN.
- Collaborates with nurse to assist in the development and ongoing evaluation of the patient’s plan of care and development of discharge plan.
- Maintains credentialing needs and skills necessary to work in a technician role on their unit.
- Ensures the patient environment is clean and clutter-free.
- Reports unsafe conditions to Supervisor in a timely manner
- Acts in a positive professional manner, utilizing good interpersonal relationships.
- Maintains patient confidentiality and privacy.
- Maintains ethical/legal standards.
- Participates in the unit-specific quality teams and committees as assigned.
- Exhibits fiscal accountability through cost-effective use of time, materials, supplies, and other resources.
- High school graduate or equivalent
- 2+ years of experience in a hospital setting as a Patient Care Technician
- BLS/CPR certification required
At Howard University Hospital our job is to care for you. We do this by offering:
- Work-life balance
- Recognition and rewards for professional expertise
- Competitive, comprehensive benefit plans offered (including health, disability, vacation, sick leave, and 403B retirement plan)
- Required Skills
High school graduate or equivalent
2+ years of experience in a hospital setting as a Patient Care Technician
BLS/CPR certification required