- Job Title
- Nurse Educator
- Job ID
- Washington, DC 20060
- Other Location
With over 150 years of caring for our community and each other in the Washington DC area, Howard University Hospital has a world-renowned reputation for high-quality, patient-centric care. Howard University Hospital is the nation’s only teaching hospital located on the campus of a Historically Black University and has created a superior learning environment, with groundbreaking research and positive patient outcomes.
Howard University Hospital seeks to hire a Nurse Educator who will embrace our reach and historic tradition of excellence. If you want to make a difference in someone’s life every day, consider a position with a team of professionals who are doing just that, making a difference.
This position is full time, Monday-Friday.
Under the administrative direction of the Director of Professional Services and Education, the Nurse Educator assumes the delegated responsibility for planning, implementing and evaluation education and training programs, designs and implements educational programs to ensure the quality of staff knowledge and skills, functions as an expert in the care and management of patients undergoing perioperative procedures, interfacing with nursing managers, clinical staff, physicians, administration and patients/families. Supervises employees during unit level orientation and for purposes of education and training.
The Nurse Educator is responsible for the orientation and education of staff; interacts with staff to determine educational needs of assigned team and to plan and coordinate learning opportunities based on needs. Provides staff development expertise as an educator, facilitator, change agent and leader. Supports the development of nursing staff and fosters empowerment through knowledge to achieve excellence through delivery of evidence-based nursing practices.
Principal Accountabilities and Expectations:
- Develops educational programs that accommodate gaining and maintaining knowledge and skills for competent performance of job responsibilities and advanced levels of professional development
- Develops a Perioperative Nursing Program for transfers and newly hired staff
- Coordinates unit level orientation programs along with unit staff
- Assists precepts with orientation needs
- Develops plans for educating staff on new protocols, in-services and EMS
- Ensures educational activities are consistent with standards, regulatory agencies, institutional and divisional philosophies, policies and objectives
- Assumes duties and responsibility related an appropriate to the position and area
- Promotes adherence to Health Sciences Compliance Program, the Howard University Code of Ethics, Heath Science Standards of Conduct and Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)
- Attends all mandatory Compliance Program training, including the HIPAA Privacy training
- Participates in activities that promote adherence to federal healthcare program requirements
- Actively participates in Health Sciences Compliance Program activities
- Maintains confidentiality of patients, families and staff
- Demonstrates ability to manage multiple priorities successfully
- Demonstrates clinical expertise and knowledge related to education
- Demonstrates strong leadership skills and effective communication, both oral and written, for classroom delivery and presentation
- Knowledge of adult learning principles and presentation skills
- Program development and management that will meet the learning needs of nurses assigned
- Effective communication, problem solving, organizational and interpersonal skills
- Proficient computer skills for word processing and data management
- Knowledge of measurement and evaluation methodologies in determining educational outcomes and learner proficiency
- Ability to establish, foster and maintain effective and harmonious work relationships with staff, physicians, Hospital and University officials and the public
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing required; Master’s in Nursing or related field preferred
- Current Registered Nurse licensure to practice in District of Columbia
- BLS and ACLS certification through the American Heart Association
- Five (5) years experience in Nursing with two (2) years as a clinical educator or nursing instructor
At Howard University Hospital our job is to care for you. We do this by offering:
- Work-life balance
- Recognition and rewards for professional expertise
- Competitive, comprehensive benefit plans offered (including health, disability, vacation and sick leave and 403B retirement plan)
- 100% free tuition to attend Howard University for you and/or your dependent children
Howard University Hospital requires all external applicants to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 before commencing employment. External Applicants may be required to furnish proof of vaccination and, if offered, may elect to be vaccinated at a designated Howard University Hospital location.
- Required Skills
Bachelor of Science in Nursing required; Master’s in Nursing or related field preferred
Current Registered Nurse licensure to practice in District of Columbia
ACLS certification through the American Heart Association
Certified Operating Room Nurse (CNOR) preferred
Five (5) years of perioperative nursing
Minimum of one (1) year as a clinical educator or nursing instructor experience required