Radiology Technologist, Days
- Job Title
- Radiology Technologist, Days
- Job ID
- Washington, DC
- Other Location
Radiology Technologist: Monday - Friday 0800am - 430pm Every Other Weekend required. Rotating Holidays
With over 150 years of caring for our community and each other in the Washington DC area, Howard University Hospital has a world-renowned reputation for high-quality, patient-centric care. Howard University Hospital is the nation’s only teaching hospital located on the campus of a Historically Black University and has created a superior learning environment, with groundbreaking research and positive patient outcomes.
Howard University Hospital seeks to hire an Radiology Technologist who will embrace our rich and historic tradition of excellence. If you want to make a difference in someone’s life every day, consider a position with a team of professionals who are doing just that, making a difference.
Purpose of Job
The Radiologic Technologist performs radiologic procedures to assist in the diagnosis of disease and injuries and to evaluate the technical quality of radiographs. Provides procedural-related patient care and education. Maintains records and documentation for procedures.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
- Operates and maintains equipment for imaging to provide high quality images for patient diagnosis. Obtain quality radiographs of patients in an acceptable timeframe; Process and accurately digitize images with correct patient data.
- Prepare patients for radiological procedures and follow established procedures for patient care and safety.
- Uses appropriate technique and shielding combination to obtain optimal images while adhering to ALARA principles. Programs machine to the proper voltage current and desired exposure time as dictated by the physician.
- Troubleshoots equipment and scanner to ensure equipment is running smoothly to avoid downtime
- Assures that all work areas are maintained in a clean and sanitary manner. Reports all safety hazards that could harm patients, visitors, or other hospital employees or supervisors, immediately at all times.
- Tracks patients according to department procedures. Identifies errors ad take immediate action for corrections, as evidenced by the Radiology Information System reports.
- Ensures rooms are stocked with appropriate supplies and has required supplies readily available for procedures.
- Assists in student training and participates in ongoing in-service training programs.
- Assumes other duties and responsibilities that are related and appropriate to the position and area. The above responsibilities are a general description of the level and nature of the work assigned to this classification and are not to be considered as all-inclusive.
- Knowledge of patient transfers and positioning techniques.
- Exhibits ALARA principles when operating machine
- Able to address patient concerns during the procedure and explain the process to the patient to provide comfort, ensure their safety, and guarantee they are receiving the best care possible.
- Capable of lifting moderate to heavy loads and standing for extensive periods of time.
- Ability to use tact, courtesy, and poise while dealing with anxious patients
- Ability to troubleshoot equipment to ensure it is running smoothly to avoid downtime.
- Ability to handle a high stress environment in a calm manner
- Ability to use independent judgement
- Processes good communication skills
- Must be Registered Technologist through the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT).
- Two (2) years’ experience as Radiologic Technologist
- Certification and/or Licensure Any required certifications or licensures required Current American Heart Association Basic Cardiac Life Support Card/BLS
At Howard University Hospital our job is to care for you. We do this by offering:
Work life balance
Recognition and rewards for professional expertise
Competitive, comprehensive benefit plans offered (including health, disability, vacation, sick leave, and 403B retirement plan)
Howard University Hospital requires all external applicants to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 before commencing employment. External Applicants may be required to furnish proof of vaccination and, if offered, may elect to be vaccinated at a designated Howard University Hospital location.#GR8Allied Healthcare
- Required Skills
Must be Registered Technologist through the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT).
Current American Heart Association Basic Cardiac Life Support Card/BLS