Certified Medical Assistant (CMA), Perioperative Care, Full Time Days
- Job Title
- Certified Medical Assistant (CMA), Perioperative Care, Full Time Days
- Job ID
- Washington, DC 20060
- Other Location
With over 150 years of caring for our community and each other in the Washington DC area, Howard University Hospital has a world-renowned reputation for high-quality, patient-centric care. Howard University Hospital is the nation’s only teaching hospital located on the campus of a Historically Black University and has created a superior learning environment, with groundbreaking research and positive patient outcomes.
Howard University Hospital seeks to hire a Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) in PACU and Pre-Testing who will embrace our reach and historic tradition of excellence. If you want to make a difference in someone’s life every day, consider a position with a team of professionals who are doing just that, making a difference.
The Medical Assistant is responsible for the overall clinical operations of the office, including ensuring that patient charts are complete prior to the Physician seeing the patient, cleaning and stocking patient exam rooms, cleaning and sterilizing instruments, ordering medical supplies, and ensuring that all medical equipment receives the required routine maintenance and is maintained in an orderly fashion. The Medical Assistant position is also responsible for ensuring that patients are triaged and seen in accordance to office policy, and when necessary, explaining delays and apologizing to waiting patients. The Medical Assistant is responsible for scheduling appointments for patients arriving to the Pre Screening Surgical Center. The Medical Assistant position is responsible for ensuring that every patient receives excellent service and quality care.
This position is full time Monday through Friday 8:00am-4:30pm-No weekends
The Certified Medical Assistant:
- Assists with treatments ordered by provider as supervised by provider or registered nurse. Performs select clinical duties.
- Interviews patients, measures vital signs, and records information on patients' charts. Prepares treatment rooms for examination of patients.
- Performs basic clerical duties including answering the phone, maintaining records, and filing.
- Performs basic materials management functions to include ordering and stocking of supplies. Assists with maintaining a clean and orderly environment.
- Documents the provider's encounter with patients. Lists all proper diagnoses and symptoms, as well as follow-up instructions and prescriptions, as indicated by the provider. Transcribes patient orders including, but not limited to, laboratory tests, radiology tests and medications. Assures that the medical record has adequate progress notes, physician order and physician charge sheet.
- Reports to the RN/Nurse Practitioner or Physician any adverse patient symptoms, i.e. blood pressure, wound measurement, irregular pulse, etc.
- Follows CDC isolation guidelines, infection control practices, demonstrates appropriate use of PPE, performs hand washing according to policy and enforces safety regulations.
- Works in coordination with other staff to ensure patient satisfaction and office efficiencies.
- May train other staff to perform basic clinical duties to facilitate patient flow.
- Assumes other duties and responsibilities that are related and appropriate to the position and area. The above responsibilities are a general description of the level and nature of the work assigned to this classification and are not to be considered as all-inclusive.
- Familiarity with medical office procedures and practice management software.
- Familiarity with medical terminology, CPT & ICD coding, and insurance requirements
- Computer knowledge and typing skills.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Ability to multi-task and maintain professionalism in stressful situations.
- Ability to problem solve
- Ability to process requests efficiently and promptly.
- Ability to collaborate with fellow staff and cross-train to ensure efficient operations.
- Ability to abide by HIPAA, OSHA, and Howard University policies and procedures.
- Fluency in English and Spanish preferred.
Qualified candidates will possess:
- High school diploma or GED is required.
- 1 + years’ experience in an acute care hospital environment required; preferred experience in PACU and Pre-Testing.
- Current Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) required.
- Current BLS certification with American Heart Association required.
- Bilingual preferred (Spanish/English), with medical terminology fluency.
At Howard University Hospital our job is to care for you. We do this by offering:
Work life balance
Recognition and rewards for professional expertise
Competitive, comprehensive benefit plans offered (including health, disability, vacation, sick leave, and 403B retirement plan)
100% tuition remission at Howard University after 1 year of employment for a graduate program
Howard University Hospital requires all external applicants to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 before commencing employment. External Applicants may be required to furnish proof of vaccination and, if offered, may elect to be vaccinated at a designated Howard University Hospital location.
- Required Skills
High school diploma or GED is required.
1 + years’ experience in an acute care hospital environment required; preferred experience in PACU and Pre-Testing.
Current Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) required.
Current BLS certification with American Heart Association required.
Bilingual preferred (Spanish/English), with medical terminology fluency.