Clinical Nurse, Medicine, Diabetes, Renal, Days
- Job Title
- Clinical Nurse, Medicine, Diabetes, Renal, Days
- Job ID
- Washington, DC 20060
- Other Location
With over 150 years of caring for our community and each other in the Washington DC area, Howard University Hospital has a world-renowned reputation for high-quality, patient-centric care. Howard University Hospital is the nation’s only teaching hospital located on the campus of a Historically Black University and has created a superior learning environment, with groundbreaking research and positive patient outcomes.Three 12-hour shifts Days, 7a-7p, every other weekend required.
Howard University Hospital seeks to hire a Clinical Nurse for Diabetes and Renal Medicine who will embrace our reach and historic tradition of excellence. If you want to make a difference in someone’s life every day, consider a position with a team of professionals who are doing just that, making a difference. Being a teaching hospital, we are education driven and willing to train RNs with 12-months acute care experience.
The Registered Nurse:
- Collaborates with patient/family and health care team to determine health goals and interventions and to revise plans of care as needed
- Maintains awareness of the unit’s periodic statistics regarding core measures, nursing quality indicators, customer satisfaction measures, and actively participates in activities/behaviors that progressively improve the statistics
- Provides nursing care consistent with the nursing practice standards, policies and procedures established by the unit, department, division, and institution, professional ethics and standards, and legal requirements
- Serves in the rotational role of charge nurse upon completion of the 6 month orientation period, and with approval by the nurse manager
- Participates in unit performance improvement programs through ongoing design, assessment and measurement, and performance improvement activities
- Identifies patient care requirements by establishing personal rapport with potential and actual patients and other persons in a position to understand care requirements
- Establishes a compassionate environment by providing emotional, psychological, and spiritual support to patients, friends, and families
- Promotes patient's independence by establishing patient care goals; teaching patient, friends, and family to understand condition, medications, and self-care skills; answering questions
- Assures quality of care by adhering to therapeutic standards; measuring health outcomes against patient care goals and standards; making or recommending necessary adjustments; following hospital and nursing division's philosophies and standards of care set by Nurse Practice Act of the District of Columbia, and other governing agency regulations
- Protects patients and employees by adhering to infection-control policies and protocols, medication administration and storage procedures, and controlled substance regulations
- Maintains nursing supplies inventory by checking stock to determine inventory level; anticipating needed supplies; placing and expediting orders for supplies; verifying receipt of supplies; using equipment and supplies as needed to accomplish job results
- Demonstrates competency in clinical skills, bedside manner, infection control, physiological knowledge, administering medication, medical teamwork, multi-tasking, listening, verbal communication, health promotion and maintenance
Qualified candidates will possess:
- Associates Degree in Nursing required.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing preferred.
- Graduate of an accredited school of nursing.
- Current license to practice as a Registered Nurse in the District of Columbia.
- Maintains active American Heart Association Basic Life Support BLS certification
- Maintains active American Heart Association Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support ACLS certification
- At least 12 months RN experience required.
At Howard University Hospital our job is to care for you. We do this by offering:
- Work-life balance
- Recognition and rewards for professional expertise
- Competitive, comprehensive benefit plans offered (including health, disability, vacation and sick leave and 403B retirement plan)
- 100% free tuition to attend Howard University for you and/or your dependent children
Howard University Hospital requires all external applicants to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 before commencing employment. External Applicants may be required to furnish proof of vaccination and, if offered, may elect to be vaccinated at a designated Howard University Hospital location.
- Required Skills
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS :
Associates Degree Required.
Bachelor of Science in Nursing preferred.
Graduate of an accredited school of nursing.
Current license to practice as a Registered Nurse in the District of Columbia.
Maintains active American Heart Association Basic Life Support certification, Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support, CNOR preferred.
At least 18 months clinical experience in acute care nursing.