Emergency Department Technician
- Job Title
- Emergency Department Technician
- Job ID
- Washington, DC 20060
- Other Location
With over 150 years of caring for our community and each other in the Washington DC area, Howard University Hospital has a world-renowned reputation for high-quality, patient-centric care. Howard University Hospital is the nation’s only teaching hospital located on the campus of a Historically Black University and has created a superior learning environment, with groundbreaking research and positive patient outcomes.
Howard University Hospital seeks to hire an Emergency Department Technician who will embrace our reach and historic tradition of excellence. If you want to make a difference in someone’s life every day, consider a position with a team of professionals who are doing just that, making a difference.
The Emergency Department Technician:
- Receives change of shift report with Registered Nurse and makes rounds on assigned patients
- Assists in the placing of patients on oxygen, cardiac monitors, dinnamaps and pulse oximetry units while under the supervision of the Registered Nurse
- Takes and records vital signs according to Emergency Department Standards
- Performs intravenous access therapy and venipuncture procedures under the supervision of a Registered Nurse and in accordance with HUH Policy/Procedures and Emergency Department Standards
- Collects, labels and handles specimens correctly according to Nursing Department Policy/Procedure and Emergency department Standards
- Performs electrocardiograms according to established standards, including those needed in clinical areas outside the Emergency Department when an EKG technician is not on duty
- Reports pertinent information, including any changes observed in the condition or behavior of the patient to the Registered Nurse
- Performs data entry of laboratory tests and x-ray orders in the computer when requested by Registered Nurse and according to Emergency Department Standards
- Recognizes and responds to priorities in patient care as outlined in the Emergency Department Standards
- Verbalizes and demonstrates correct techniques in carrying out Infection Control Fire, and Disaster procedures as outlined in the Emergency Department Standards
- Gives enemas or other needed preparation to patients in accordance with hospital procedures
- Assists in the transporting of patients, supplies and specimens on and off the unit. Assists in the ordering and stocking of supplies as requested by the Director
- Performs patient preparation and procedure setup of trays and equipment, i.e., trauma trays intubation trays, hypothermia machine, etc.
- Assists in Dr. Dan and Code Yellow procedures as per established Emergency Department guidelines/standards
- Provides post-mortem care and follows Emergency department’s guidelines in caring of deceased bodies such as labeling, wrapping dentures, and securing patient valuables and property
- Assists in admission and discharge procedures as per established guidelines
- Follows safety guidelines when working with all equipment and recognizes equipment malfunctions and refers for repair
- Gives reports on assigned patients to Registered Nurse when leaving for break or meals and to the Charge Nurse before the end of the shift
Qualified candidates will possess:
- High School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED)
- Emergency Medical Technician Certification preferred, EMT certification must obtain within 18 months of hire date
- Two (2) years of experience preferred
- BLS Certification
- ACLS Certification Preferred
At Howard University Hospital our job is to care for you. We do this by offering:
Work life balance
Recognition and rewards for professional expertise
Competitive, comprehensive benefit plans offered (including health, disability, vacation, sick leave, and 403B retirement plan)
- Required Skills
High School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED).
Emergency Medical Technician Certification preferred, EMT certification must obtain within 18 months of hire date.
Two (2) years of experience preferred.
ACLS Certification Preferred.
Must be able to stand, walk, sit, lift, climb, balance, push, reach, handle, write, file, speak, hear, see (depth perception, color vision), evaluate and organize for extended periods of time.