Medical Records Data Specialist
- Job Title
- Medical Records Data Specialist
- Job ID
- Washington, DC 20060
- Other Location
With over 150 years of caring for our community and each other in the Washington DC area, Howard University Hospital has a world-renowned reputation for high-quality, patient-centric care. Howard University Hospital is the nation’s only teaching hospital located on the campus of a Historically Black University and has created a superior learning environment, with groundbreaking research and positive patient outcomes.
Howard University Hospital seeks to hire a Medical Records Data Specialist who will embrace our reach and historic tradition of excellence. If you want to make a difference in someone’s life every day, consider a position with a team of professionals who are doing just that, making a difference.
Medical Records Data Specialist:
- Determine appropriate statements of principal diagnosis, secondary diagnosis, and procedures to be entered as a part of the medical record.
- Abstracts diagnoses and procedures from the medical record using data from the entire medical record including but not limited to the history & physical, physician progress notes, discharge summaries, orders, emergency service records, consultation reports, results of diagnostic tests, and operative reports.
- Generates a coding abstract for each coded medical record containing the optimized statement of diagnoses, procedures, and the final Medicare Severity-Diagnosis Related Groups (MS-DRG) or All Patient Refined Diagnosis Related Group (APR-DRG).
- Utilizes coding worklists to ensure that workflow is adhered to according to Health Information Management policy.
- Ensures the hospital health information is consistent with ethical, legal, and regulatory requirements by following HIPAA State and Federal requirements and guidelines related to patient privacy regulations.
- Plans, organizes, reviews, and coordinates the activities of personnel engaged in providing Health Information for requests for centralized release of medical record information.
- Utilizes classification software to assign codes and group to payment classification systems.
- Translates diagnosis and procedure statements into ICD-10 CM/PCS and CPT-4 codes.
A qualified candidate will possess:
- Associate’s degree in Medical Record Technology or related field.
- Two (2) years of experience in an acute care facility’s Health Information Management Department coding inpatient, ambulatory surgery, ambulatory care, emergency service diagnostic testing and therapy records utilizing ICD-10 CM/PCS, and CPT-4.
- Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT), Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA), or Certified Coding Specialist (CCS) certifications.
- Work-life balance
- Recognition and rewards for professional expertise
- Competitive, comprehensive benefit plans offered (including health, disability, vacation, sick leave, and 403B retirement plan)
Howard University Hospital requires all external applicants to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 before commencing employment. External Applicants may be required to furnish proof of vaccination and, if offered, may elect to be vaccinated at a designated Howard University Hospital location.
- Required Skills
Associate’s degree in Medical Record Technology or related field.
Two (2) years of experience in an acute care facility’s Health Information Management Department coding inpatient, ambulatory surgery, ambulatory care, emergency service diagnostic testing and therapy records utilizing ICD-10 CM/PCS , and CPT-4.
Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT), Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA), or Certified Coding Specialist (CCS) certifications.