General Maintenance Mechanic
- Job Title
- General Maintenance Mechanic
- Job ID
- Washington, DC 20060
- Other Location
With over 150 years of caring for our community and each other in the Washington DC area, Howard University Hospital has a world-renowned reputation for high-quality, patient-centric care. Howard University Hospital is the nation’s only teaching hospital located on the campus of a Historically Black University and has created a superior learning environment, with groundbreaking research and positive patient outcomes.
Howard University Hospital seeks to hire a General Maintenance Mechanic who will embrace our reach and historic tradition of excellence. If you want to make a difference in someone’s life every day, consider a position with a team of professionals who are doing just that, making a difference.
The General Maintenance Mechanic:
- Responsible for repairing, maintaining, and overhauling the following equipment by using the manufacturer's manual as necessary: assemble furniture, various patient care devices, patient stretchers, exam tables, O.B. tables, Operating Room tables, laundry equipment, cafeteria equipment, kitchen equipment, patient room equipment, renal dialysis water treatment equipment, pneumatic tube system, wheelchairs, and other similar equipment.
- Inspects and performs minor maintenance on various types of equipment.
- Performs analysis of renal dialysis water hardness and quality.
- Reads and records renal dialysis water system pressures.
- Inspects medical gas, laboratory gas, and ethylene oxide gas systems and changes tanks when necessary.
- Makes minor electrical repairs including changing of lamps.
- Makes minor plumbing repairs including unstopping drains, unstopping toilets, and sinks, stopping leaks by changing washers or installing plumbing kits as required.
- Assists skilled plumbers and electricians when necessary to repair hospital equipment.
- Assists, if certified, HUH Biomedical Engineering in the assessment and repair of hospital beds and stretchers.
- Makes recommendations on changes in the preventive maintenance program and the need for spare parts.
- Reports critical problems immediately and makes recommendations for corrective action.
- Assists in special activities and weather-related events.
- Promotes adherence to the Health Sciences Compliance Program, the Howard University Code of Ethics, and the Health Sciences Standards of Conduct.
- Attends annual and periodic mandatory Compliance Program training including the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) Privacy training.
- Participated in activities that promote adherence to federal healthcare program requirements.
- Actively participates in Health Sciences Compliance Program activities.
- Adheres to the requirements of the HIPAA Privacy Policies and Procedures.
- Maintains confidentiality of patients, families, and staff.
- Assumes other duties and responsibilities that are related and appropriate to the position and area. The above responsibilities are a general description of the level and nature of the work assigned to this classification and are not to be considered as all-inclusive.
- High school diploma or G.E.D
- Five (5) years of direct experience in plumbing, carpentry, painting, drywall, and electrical trades.
- Must be able to wear safety equipment including clothing, footwear, respirators, and masks when needed for self or patient protection.
- Must have effective oral and written communication skills.
- Working knowledge using a computerized maintenance management system is preferred.
- Must be able to work alternating shifts, holidays, overtime, and weekends.
- Must be able to stand, walk, sit, lift (minimally 50lbs), climb, stoop, kneel, crouch, bend, pull, push, reach, write, speak, hear, see, calculate, and organize for extended periods of time.
At Howard University Hospital our job is to care for you. We do this by offering:
- Work-life balance
- Recognition and rewards for professional expertise
- Competitive, comprehensive benefit plans offered (including health, disability, vacation, sick leave, and 403B retirement plan)
Howard University Hospital requires all external applicants to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 before commencing employment. External Applicants may be required to furnish proof of vaccination and, if offered, may elect to be vaccinated at a designated Howard University Hospital location.
- Required Skills
High school diploma or G.E.D
5 years of direct experience in plumbing, carpentry, painting, drywall, and electrical trades.
Must be able to wear safety equipment including clothing, footwear, respirators, and masks when needed for self or patient protection.
Must have effective oral and written communication skills.
Working knowledge using a computerized maintenance management system is preferred.
Must be able to work alternating shifts, holidays, overtime, and weekends.
Must be able to stand, walk, sit, lift (minimally 50lbs), climb, stoop, kneel, crouch, bend, pull, push, reach, write, speak, hear, see, calculate, and organize for extended periods of time.