Senior Labor & Employee Relations Specialist
- Job Title
- Senior Labor & Employee Relations Specialist
- Job ID
- WASHINGTON DC, DC
- Other Location
Labor and Employee Relations Specialist - Senior :
- Investigates and researches labor relations matters, employee and union complaints or grievances.
- Prepares timely reports of investigative findings, decisions/responses to grievances, union information requests, and management inquiries.
- Maintains confidentiality of sensitive, restrictive, or privileged information including but not limited to patients and employee data
- Provides support to management throughout the grievance process, in disciplinary matters, and performance management.
- Advises managers to help them understand their rights and obligations under collective-bargaining agreements and other policies, while maintaining and encouraging objectivity in situations that may be charged with emotion.
- Schedules and coordinates all labor and employee relations matters including but not limited to disciplinary and investigatory meetings, and grievance and arbitration hearings.
- Creates and manages case files as required. Maintains an updated and organized case file and grievance management system.
- Creates reports as requested.
- Creates legal documents such as disciplinary actions, Performance Improvement Plans, reprimands, suspensions, demotions, terminations and recommendations for suspensions
- Conducts timely fact-finding investigations into allegations of employee misconduct and also pursuant to the matters arising under the National Labor Relations Act, the Labor Management Relations Act, other federal and District of Columbia laws and regulations and/or Howard University Hospital collective bargaining agreements.
- Assists managers in taking performance-based, disciplinary, or adverse actions, identifies potential alternatives to discipline, and assists managers with a variety of other informal corrective actions designed to address problematic employee performance, conduct, or behavior.
- Provides support during collective-bargaining agreement negotiations as assigned. Such support includes, but is not limited to, scheduling meetings, drafting proposals, and taking notes during negotiations.
- Develops well analyzed recommendations on courses of action based on applicable collective-bargaining agreement and organizational policies and procedures. Prepares various reports including, but not limited to, investigative reports, grievance reports, and quarterly activity reports.
- Coordinates and participates in labor-management meetings and training, maintains records of attendance and notes related to such meetings.
- Assumes other duties and responsibilities that are related and appropriate to the position and area. The above responsibilities are a general description of the level and nature of the work assigned to this classification and are not to be considered as all-inclusive.
Qualified Candidates will possess:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, specializing in Human Resource Management, Industrial and/or Labor Relations or related field of discipline
- Five (5) years of experience in labor relations and/or contract administration, to include conflict resolution, union contract negotiation, and union/management grievances, policy interpretation and implementation
- Work-life balance
- Recognition and rewards for professional expertise
- Competitive, comprehensive benefit plans offered (including health, disability, vacation, sick leave, and 403B retirement plan.)
Howard University Hospital requires all external applicants to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 before commencing employment. External Applicants may be required to furnish proof of vaccination and, if offered, may elect to be vaccinated at a designated Howard University Hospital location.
Sync to Internal Description
- Required Skills
Five (5) years of experience in labor relations and/or contract administration, to include conflict resolution, union contract negotiation, and union/management grievances, policy interpretation and implementation